Molly laying on Gravel upside down

20 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

toxicbiscuitj28

by toxicbiscuitj28

I have 3 molly's, 2 marble and 1 white. Yesterday, i noticed that one of my molly's was laying on the gravel not doing anything. About an hour later he was laying upside down, still not doing anything. I went to bed, woke up at about 3am in the night, went down stairs and there he was dead laying upside down under a piece of driftwood. I have only had him for about a week or so. Can someone explain this to me? because he seemed normal the day before this happened. Thanks.

tekneb

by tekneb

Whats the size of the tank?
What else is in the tank?
How old is the tank (meaning how long since you set it up)?
What are your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels and what is your ph?
Are you mixing any salt into the water?

toxicbiscuitj28

by toxicbiscuitj28

Its 20g's, There's as i said the now 2 molly's, 3 platty's, 2 cory Catfish, 1 Khuli loach, 1 cardinal tetra ( other 4 got sucked up in to filter ) and there was 1 ( male ) betta, who sadly died the other day due to fungus around it's mouth. there's no salt in the water and as i recall you need a bit of salt in the water. I did check him for the fungus. PH is 7.0. thanks

tekneb

by tekneb

You my friend are in a bit of a bind. Molly's need salt, while Khuli's could potentially die from salt in the water. At some point your gonna have to make a choice between the two of them, or nature will do it for you.

Fungus is a sign of poor water conditions. I would buy an ammonia test kit and do some water changes accordingly. I wouldn't say your tank is dangerously overstocked but your on the border, so the bioload on your tank is probably substantial.
096bb-fishtank5.jpg
9f95d-fishtank8.jpg
570d4-fishtank7.jpg
93c55-fishtank6.jpg
dbf88-fishtank9.jpg

toxicbiscuitj28

by toxicbiscuitj28

ok, i will get rid of the 2 molly's. there's would not be a chance in hell i would give back my loach. they really are interesting fish. what do you think of adding 4 more platty's, a ( male ) betta and an african dwarf frog? or would the tank be overstocked.
Thanks for your help!

Alasse

by Alasse

I personally would not be adding anything else to the tank until you figure out why you have fish dying.

Can you provide us with the tank stats? Ammonia, NitrItes & NitrAtes.

Khulis do better with mates by the way. Once your tank is stable i'd be inclined to get 3 more khulis. I definately would not be adding a male betta.

tekneb

by tekneb

Alasse is dead on. Don't add anything until you know why your fish got fungus, and you wont know that unless you know your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels. Male Betta's vary greatly from fish to fish. Some are very even tempered, some will kill anything that moves. If you feel that the risk of all your other fish dying at the hands of a two dollar Betta is worth the reward of having a gorgeous Betta in your tank then by all means add him once the tank is stabilized. I personally wouldn't do it though.

dream2reef

by dream2reef

Yea I figured he was still in cycling. Sounds like he just started up. Odd that the molly died though since they are the suggested fish to start any tank. At this point there are too many variables to start giving hypothesis' around w/o knowing at least the dangerous 2. Tekneb is right also about beta's. I did have one in with my community of neons, Rasboras, and rainbows. I introduced him by a mug. I sat him on top of my rock wall and watched him and the others. Not sure what made me think of this. I guess from watching them at the stores some will go at the other one some won't, as said. But, in my case, I got lucky everything went smooth. He loved it in there and he was awesome. He was a nosey guy though. I'm blabbing now. Get your test kit and come back here with some numbers. No one can really say anything w/o the very least that. Good luck

dream2reef

by dream2reef

You can buy a netting for carbon that will go over your intake on your filter to stop the fish from being sucked up. I had to use it on fry before lol.

toxicbiscuitj28

by toxicbiscuitj28

i have 1 question about the testing kit. i already have one but can you tell me the difference between NITRATE NO3-, NO2-, and NO1- and the same between AMMONIA.
both AMMONIA bottles have the same numbers on them. they are both NH3/NH4, i just want to know if they are meant to be the same and what NITRATE bottle should i use.
I know how to use them and i know what they are for. thanks

20 posts • Page 1 of 2