New Tank Filteration

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Saltycrab

New Tank Filteration

by Saltycrab

Hi everyone, I am new to reef tanks, and I need advice. I have a 90 gal. and would like to know what would be the best way to filter it. I will have both live sand and live rock, and plan on corals and fish. The 2 filters I have now are a Penguin 200 and a 350 Bio wheels, combined will be good for 125 gallons according to the package rating. Thought about a refugium but not sure I want to drill the tank or have a 2nd tank unless i can keep it to a minimum size. Any advice and comments on the filters or any other components would be helpfull, thanks in advance. :)

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

hi and welcome. a drilled tank is the best way to go . if you can afford it.your filters will be fine for now but look in to skimmers if you want coral.also a good idea for fish. they will make your tank look sweet.+ add oxegen.. refugiums are a pain for beginners .
swp

Saltycrab

by Saltycrab

Thanks, and will i need a skimmer right away, or will i be able to get by for a couple weeks or so?

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

skimmers will help alot. they will help alot on free floating diotoms and any acsesive nutrients.. did you start your tank yet or just planing it out ?

Saltycrab

by Saltycrab

Planning it out. Right now I have the 90 gal. tank, the 2 filters, and a heater, on the stand and a set of corlalite lights. They are the deluxe with all 3 lights. Moon glow included

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

saltycrab, until you are ready read the the forum ther is alot of good info here. if you have any more questions post them.

Saltycrab

by Saltycrab

I am ready, I am buying more each weekend, so if the fileration I have now will be ok, I plan on having the tank drilled this week, and starting to buy my live sand. I would like advice on the water too. Will tap water do if the right chems are used to prepare it? I was tolded I should use RO water that the local supplier sells.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

i would use ro water its safer. i dont like adding chems to tap water.

New Tank Filteration

8 posts