parasites

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

parasites

by FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

before i mowed through all of these books I had already done a fish cycle with a few damsels. None of them died as of yet but one developed white spote and i see his fin is deteriorating. Not sure if he was bitten, but for the sake of this question I will assume its "fin rot". Once i take these things out i know the parasites will remain in my water. Before i add the livestock I intend to keep, what are the proactive measures I can take to make sure this tank is good to go. If I decide to put invertebres in i know copper is out of the question, same for corals. I was thinking a good natural approach would be to take out the dams once the tank is fully cycled, and keep salinity low for a few weeks, I was about to add live rock as well, but now im hesistant. Should I wait now to add the live rock?? Thanks for any input as always...

makavelithedon963941

by makavelithedon963941

its definitly not fin rot, thats caused from a fish not having a big enough environment to move about, and you can put a damsel in any size tank pretty much. yea definitly STAY AWAY FROM COPPER SULFATE. he probly has ich just get rid of them, they are terrorist anyway. have your water tested at your local fish place. if its ok, get rid of all of them, and if its not, keep them until its good except for that ich infested one, take him out. i assume you dont have a quranteen tank?

FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

by FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

I am about to set up an all in one acrylic quarantine, but I dont have one now. OK so ich leaves with the fish where bacterial infectious dinoflagellates remain in the water right? I think i said that right lol

makavelithedon963941

by makavelithedon963941

with a good skimmer i dont think it will effect anything at all, just get em out of there

tangerine

by tangerine

ich parasites have a life cycle of abt 4-6 weeks. leave yr tank fishless to "fallow" for that period of time and u wud have broken the cycle.

no harm in putting the live rocks in.just leave it fishless.

parasites

5 posts