air bubbles

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

kevinh

air bubbles

by kevinh

Is there a rule of thumb on the amount of air bubbles you need to properly aerate your tank?
My tank is a 55g and has 2 HOB filters 1 on each side, a power head on the left side at the top making ripples/waves and a 36" silicone flex wand across the back of the tank.
I keep the water level about 1 inch below the filter so I get small ripples and air bubbles from the the water coming out of the filter.

I have a lot of little air bubbles all over the tank, cool thing is I get to see the currents

snostorm

by snostorm

I don't think there is a rule? I would assume if you have ripples/ something breaking the surface tension then oxygen should be getting into the water. Live plants make small air bubbles you can see. If you want more bubbles maybe get an air stone and pump.

boylestd

by boylestd

I dont think you can really over oxygenate your water. I agree with snostorm. If your filter is breaking the water surface and you have plenty of bubbles moving around, then you should be fine. Although if your fish seem lethargic and swim near the surface all the time, then it is time to invest in an airstone. I run my water level super high and use an oxygen stone. This keeps my filter super quiet.

majormac

by majormac

The HOB filter should have gallon recommendation that you need for the tank and if you have 2 I'd guess you have enough.

kevinh

by kevinh

Thanks

air bubbles

5 posts