Please Help. (New Tank)

24 posts • Page 3 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

goldenrod

by goldenrod

So the tetra is fine now. Apparently I misdiagnosed it. There are no more spots and nothing appeared on the other fish. I'm going to do another water test tonight and see how everything is going. The pleco is a common hypo. All o the fish seem to be doing well and everything is going good. You guys are a huge help.

goldenrod

by goldenrod

So thanks again everyone here for all your help I wouldn't have made it this far without it. The water is clear and no casualties. But I'm thinking it's about time to change the filter and do a thorough cleaning. I know I need a gravel vacuum but will that be hard to use? As far as changing the filter I know I can't just swap it out for a new one so should I put a new filter cartridge in the back of the filter area or somehow introduce it into the tank first?

tekneb

by tekneb

Gravel vacuums are probably the easiest thing to use that you will ever buy for your fish tank.

As for filter cartridges you don't have to change them nearly as often as the instructions say you do. So long as the cartridge isn't deteriorating or falling apart you should leave it. When it is finally time to change it, if you can fit the replacement cartridge in behind the old one that would be great. If not, you can probably get away with replacing it as long as you skip the gravel cleaning for a little while. That way you'll still have a bunch of beneficial bacteria growing somewhere.

majormac

by majormac

If it is a common pleco it will grow big quick probably 4-5 inches in about 6 months, was everything new tank and filter? I would do 20% daily water change until your ammonia drops to 0 ppm. Feed once a day in the morning try not to overfeed and make sure all the food are gone in 5 mins

Please Help. (New Tank)

24 posts • Page 3 of 3