Salt or Fresh?

8 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

Is Salt Or Fresh easier to care for?

Saltwater
No votes
Freshwater
75%
Both are equally easy as long as you know what you're doing
25%

Total votes : 4

RaeRae84

Salt or Fresh?

by RaeRae84

So Hubby & I recently acquired a 55gal tank full setup for Freshwater fish. BUT a friend of mine offered to give me all his old saltwater equipment for the tank he has everything i would need for a new setup except water.

I have not a clue how to take care of a Salt water tank. He says he can help and go through it all with us and teach us what we need to know.

Now My question is what am I going to get myself into?
Is it better for me to stick with fresh water or should I take the leap and learn all i can about salt or stick with what I already know. How much work exactly is a salt water. I always heard stories of how hard it is to take care of salt water tanks which is why I was never really interested.

Then my husband suggested we start small and turn our 30 gallon into a salt water. just transfer all the fresh over to the 55 gal.
Is it easier to take care of a Small salt water tank or better to go large?

Thanks everyone!

tekneb

by tekneb

If your getting all of your friends old saltwater equipment, then you've already overcome the principal negative of saltwater tanks, initial investment costs. A rule of thumb with all tanks, both fresh and salt, is that if you can go bigger, you should. This is because changes to the tank take longer to occur when their is more water, thereby decreasing the chance of stress from the change. Saltwater fish are especially sensitive to changes in the their environment. so if your gonna set up a saltwater, use the 55. If you go saltwater, are you gonna go fish only, fish with live rock, or reef tank? This is what makes the difference in how much time and effort you have to pay towards the tank. If you have fish only, not much is different from freshwater except you have to keep an eye on your salt levels. If you go with a full on reef, you have to be much more observant concerning a whole range of chemicals. The only other thing to keep in mind is the argument of quantity vs quality. With a freshwater tank, you'll be able to put more fish in the tank, whereas your fish will be much more vibrantly colored if you go salt.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

cool thing about freshwater is you can go from community fish to aggressive fish

saltwater is a huge expensive investment, it must be done right the first time whereas with freshwater one can screw up every so often and the tank will probably bounce back quicker whereas with a saltwater if you screw up it can run into big money

for instance (I told this once before on this forum), I have a friend who bought over $2000 worth of fish for her new saltwater tank (as a house warming present). She also bought an electric eel. Everything was okay before she went to bed. The next morning, she wakes up, goes to the tank...and only thing left was the electric eel (it had a late night snack).

Even though I have mostly community fish, I have a few semi-aggressive fish. There are enough territorial places so no fish gets hurt. I do plan in the next year to purchase a 180 gallon aquarium and have only semi-aggressive fish. Maybe in the very far future I will tread into the area of aggressive fish.

So I voted for freshwater (and I see I am the only one so far lol). I never delve into the saltwater section on this web site for I am not experienced in this area. And though the fish are more colorful and the live rocks are cool, like I said before, if one decides to have semi-aggressive freshwater fish, the tank can be just as awesome.

That's my 19 cents worth...I am sure others have a few cents to add (((smiles)))

RaeRae84

by RaeRae84

thanks everyone. he is also giving me Live Rock with the equipment which I have read helps with filtering. We would like a few plant life or coral eventually but mostly fish. Nothing too crazy we would like to stay on the lower end of the price scale on fish. Damsels and clown fish and whatever else is friendly. I was all community fish No aggressive even if they are super pretty. That is why i stayed away from Chiclids I like happy fish LOL

Now I have another question since we were discussing this last night. We will most likely be moving within the next year. How hard will it be to take down move and reset back up. We will be staying within our city so it wont be a huge move.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I have moved twice with the 55 gallon tank and funny thing, I will be moving again in the coming week (((smiles))).

You need to gather all your fish in a 20 or 10 gallon tank (depends on how many fish you have and how well they get along in close quarters).

Next, turn everything off. Empty the tank of the water. If you have live plants, take all the plants out of the gravel, be careful, do it slowly as not to damage the roots, and place the plants in wet newspapers or preferably in a bucket of water (key is to keep the plants continuously wet). If you have snails, get the big ones out you can leave the very small ones. Break it all down except for about 1/2 to 1 inch of gravel.

Takes two people to move a large tank, possibly more, dependent on the tank. Never ever lift the tank with water in it. Actually, the only thing in the tank should be gravel with the waterline below the gravel.

Move everything to your new place.

At the new place, refill the tank with new water about halfway. Replant the plants as if you just bought them. Rearrange the tank with whatever decorations you have.

Fill the tank back up, then place the heater in the tank, wait a few minutes then turn it on. Let the temperature rise to the usual temperature (usually around a good 78 unless you have goldfish, then colder). Put all the filtration back into the tank. Put the lighting and aeration into the tank.

Let the tank sit for about 1 hour or until the water temperature gets to be normal and everything else is working properly.

Use liquid test kits for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph on the tap water so you know what the new place's water parameters are. Once it appears like all is within normal range, then place all the fish back in. Adjust accordingly.

Don't be surprised if you lose a couple fish and some yellowing or dying back of live plants. It's a time for adjustment for the fish are extremely stressed and even the live plants are "stressed".

My advice is, do not feed for 2 days. Fast the fish. It will not hurt them. It will help clean out their digestive systems too. Observe the fish and plants. On the 3rd day, test the water. IF all is within normal range, then you can feed sparingly.

After one week the fish will have set up all their territorial spaces and you can consider the tank back to normal unless your water testing tells you differently. Then as an experienced fish-keeper, you should know what to do (water change, cut back or fast the fish on food, may need to add Prime (conditions the water).

Considering you plan to have a saltwater tank you will need to keep the live rock wet as well and of course test for salinity (the tap water and then in time the tank water).

Saltwater and freshwater tank breakdown on a move is basically the same. Only difference, the fish you may lose in a saltwater are usually much more expensive.

Any questions, tell me/us about it. Let us know how it goes.

RaeRae84

by RaeRae84

Hey thanks yasher! Since out last few moved were long moved I just gave away my fish before we left. local moving i was hoping would be easier! thanks

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

oh ok lol

at least you'll know if you do someday in the future move

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

As much as i am devoted to fresh water, i think if someone gave me a tank with everything i needed to do a salt water set up, (including live rock!), i think i'd at least give it a try.

Salt or Fresh?

8 posts