newbie with Africian cichlid fry!!

15 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

esparzar1

by esparzar1

You need to get rid of the crabro and kenyi. They are both vicious fish. The crabro can get up to 8in and should not be kept in anything smaller than a 100gal/6ft tank. The same can be said for the Kenyi, it's a very mean fish that will kill the rest of your fish when it starts to mature. Unless you plan on getting a bigger tank I would see if your lfs can do a exchange for something else. Typically hap/mbuna (what you have) should not be kept in anything smaller than a 55gal/4ft tank. There a a few exceptions but the crabro/kenyi are definetly not those exceptions. The lithobates is a calm fish but still to small for a 47 gal. I'm really suprised that you have a mumbo yellow, that's actually really hard to find, but that really isn't suitable for a 47 gal either and it's highly aggressive. The Kingsizei is actually a good fish to have for you size of tank. It's a dwarf mbuna, I would maybe look at getting 8-10 of those (2-3 males/6-7 females) and get rid of everything else. I know that's probably what you don't wanna hear but with that size of the tank it's really the only feasible option.
You could look at possibly getting some other "dwarf mbuna" like the saulosi or cyno sp. cobues....those are just a few options for dwarf mbuna...hope this helps

cwilkin

by cwilkin

esparzar you sound like you knw about chichlids. I have been wanting to add more to my tank but I dont want to get the aggressive kind. I have 3 gold sevrums 3 angels, 3 pearl gourami, one darwf ram angel, and two black juiellians. What can I add?

esparzar1

by esparzar1

cwilkin,

I wish I could help you more, I'm kinda clueless when it comes to SA cichlids. I only keep african cichlids (Mbuna) sorry I can't help more :(

cwilkin

by cwilkin

Well th chiclids I have arent mean are there any African cichlds that arent mean?

nicholas542

by nicholas542

Pretty much all African Cichlids are aggressive. They are pretty dosile when they are young, but as they get to adult stage they get aggressive. When they get to adult stage they get territorial and aggresive.

newbie with Africian cichlid fry!!

15 posts • Page 2 of 2