Baby Guppies

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

liam1995

Baby Guppies

by liam1995

My guppie had babies last night but this morning they were gone eaten i presumed.... What can i do next time to ensure their survival. i have another tank i can put them in but it doesnt have a heater. my current tank has lots of oher fish in it. what do i do? please help

mzhantsche

by mzhantsche

The parents alone will eat the babies. I had a tank with 8 females and 2 males. They had so many babies, but the population of the tank was kept in check because the other fish ate so many babies that only 4 made it to adult size.

Guppy's breed very easily in captivity. Once they mate, the female can save the males sperm in her body for up to 8 live births. So you can imagine how it can get out of control if every baby survives.

You have a few options....

First, when the babies are born they instinctively swim to the bottom of the tank and look for hiding spots where they will have a better chance of avoiding other fish. You can add more low cover plants or tightly packed rocks for more hiding spots which will lead to better chance of survival.

Or, you can buy a breeding container where you put the pregnant guppy in and leave it their until it gives birth. The container has a small slot that the baby swims through but the mother cant fit. A cheep breeder will only set you back 5 bucks or so. The container sits in the tank.

If you want to keep the babies in your other tank you mentioned just get a heater.
But i promise you will have lots of guppy's in a short time if you keep every baby.

Someone else might have a better answer but that's my experience with guppy's.

liam1995

by liam1995

thankyou!!!

mzhantsche

by mzhantsche

Let me know what you decide to do.

Alasse

by Alasse

If you feed the adults enough they dont eat the young. I had mine in a 4ft and the fry were darnwell EVERYWHERE. I fed the tank 3-4 times a day.

I've now culled about 100+fry as i've moved mine to a 2ft tank, and already there is fry everywhere *LOL*

mzhantsche

by mzhantsche

I watched the few guppy's I had in my Bichir tank. They are chilling in his tank until he gets hungry enough. I watched one of the pregnant females give birth. I had some sympathy and put the fry into a breeding cube. So well let him grow and get big.

Tip: Female usually give birth at night and in warmer temperatures. Increase your temperature to 78 or 79. Turn off the lights in the tank and keep the room kinda dark. Get a flashlight and check on them every 30 min or so. Look real close cuz the babies are tiny.

dream2reef

by dream2reef

If you want to keep them together keep you other fish fed very well otherwise seperate them one way or another. I've got a dozen or so babies bout ready for sale. I wanted to see who would survive the best of the best right?

liam1995

by liam1995

what are the names of some plants that will shelter fry on the bottom of the tank

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

all the anubias plants or a few moss balls

Alasse

by Alasse

Excellent plant for sheltering fry is Java moss, one of the best actually

Baby Guppies

11 posts • Page 1 of 2