When Is Enough Enough?

13 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

yasherkoach

When Is Enough Enough?

by yasherkoach

The following is a comment I posted on a dream2reef thread:

"no offense guys but, I find people on this forum or in this hobby in general, equip and re-equip their tanks so many times in a month that I wonder what in the heck was the reason to get into this hobby

I got into the hobby because I like fish, invertebrates and live plants. After 3 rearrangements, over a period of 1 year, I settled in on the all natural rock, live plant and wood decorum. Never changed it since.

Even when I had an ich breakout, I never used hospital tanks or chemicals...I just upped the main tank temperature to 86-89 degrees for ten days, created more of water agitation so there'd be more oxygen in the water column, and after the ten days, the ich cycle perished...temp back down to normal (78) and water agitation (I lowered the water level about 3 inches thereby creating a water cascade or plentiful bubbles) was brought back up to the normal level of about 1/2 inch from the top of the rim of the aquarium)

Point is, when do any of you guys, who arrange and arrange with your tanks ever have time to actually watch your fish for hours and/or permit your fish breathing room, so to speak, so they may enjoy their habitat without the human hand interferring.

Like I said, no offense, do not mean to demean the multiple arrangements, but when is enough enough?

(((just a thought)))"

so tell me guys, what do you think...is there ever a time when enough is enough?

Alasse

by Alasse

No not really, i'm constantly tweaking my tanks, i have plants in many of them so maintenance is part and parcel. I have plenty of time to watch my tanks and fish. I enjoy 'scaping them almost as much as watching them

I spose i'm lucky in that i have plenty of tanks here that no one tank gets 'played' with all the time.

My 3ft is very soon going to be rescaped, its a must do rather than a want to do *LOL* The plants are now nearly to the front glass and the angels are not appreciating the heavy going to get from side to side. So the plants will need to be taken out and redone, seeing as i am doing that i'm going to play with the hardscape also.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

I love making occasional changes to my tank. They are usually small changes: adding or moving a plant or adding a fish, pruning the plants, upgrading the lights or whatever. I don't think i'm making changes obsessively, but i do enjoy fiddling around with it a bit. And i definitely have plenty of time to just sit back and enjoy my tank, which i do all the time!

dream2reef

by dream2reef

Thank god for short-term fish memory loss. I watch my fish about 600% more then I rescape. but who cares my fish benefit more every time I do it. They get more caves more plants more something every single time. Yasher you have all the info in the world that anyone could need and I like that. I know when I ask you a question I won't have bits and peices, which tend to be more important then thought, won't be left out. But this is rate my fish tank. Where the competitive come and compete against each others tanks. I rescape more often at the end of the voting month then any other time. Trying to get higher in the ranks. Lets all talk about that here cuz that's why were all here right. As said before ppl post their tanks in the forums to get compliments. I remember when alasse and stingray rescaped their tanks to the current ones and they've not touched them much since. But THEY are in competition. As are we all here. Yasher this is the forum you're on here. Keep that in mind and ppl will like you even more. I can't imagine the post you've got on other forums and I'm sure we still may get the shortened versions. If you're not on any other forums I'd say go find some and you won't feel so urged to yell at these ppl for making their tanks better. ppl here dont care about their fish as much as you do. It's there tanks they care about member the site were on here. I'm so glad I found this site or I too might have a plain tank as you seem to have. But you may have the longest living fish here from you not tearing things down all the time. But we competitors will have shortlived rebought banged up scared lil fish, until they forget about it all happening. So here's what ppl are thinking and don't think to say it. So anyway someone RATE MY FISH TANK!

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

well just for your honest spunk and putting my a$$ in order, I gave you a 10 (when I do see your tank, you get a 10)

I never really thought of that way, that this web site is about a competition, and the more cooler the tank looks the better ratings you get...too bad the owner of this web site (who by the way is a nice guy, I've asked him questions from time to time and he is very nice upon response) don't give a prizes away for 1st, 2nd, 3rd place (like new filters, pumps, etc)

but I guess you do have a point - and no I do not belong to other forum, though under your line of thought, possibly I will look into this; I did belong to a former member of this site web site but the last time I went was months ago, and I only posted about 5 responses

I do appreciate your compliments, and I am not saying people on this forum do not take care of their fish, but you are also correct, I do tend to look at the hobby from the fish's point of view (that is, the fish that are in any given tank) rather than from the human's point of view on, well let me see what I can do next with this tank

but it's cool, I take as much constructive criticism as I dish out...thanks dream2reef....................and alasse & natalie

jdak702

by jdak702

Just curious dream... how many votes do you get in a month? I feel like the tank shots just get lost in the 1000s of pics... Most of which are ancient...

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

once I tried to go through every picture in the planted tank section...and I had found that a picture only repeats about 2 or three times during one continuous voting session (it took me about 2 hours to go through all the pictures, some I'd leave comments; most I'd read the descriptions)

personally, I do not care about the value of the voting; though some of the planted tank, even though with flourescent lighting and all types of gadgets I am dead set against, I will give a 9 or 10 on the tanks with beautiful foilage...I rather just constructively critique or help others find the best way to structure their tanks, or get their tanks as natural as possible

I've belonged to this forum for over two years, and I've learned many good things from other fish keepers, some are more memorable than others, but we've all gone down the road attempting to better understand how best to keep a tank

so how many votes do I get in a month, probably about 5-10...but who's counting?

dream2reef

by dream2reef

I think voting stops at 100 cuz when I get there I never get anymore. But I swear I've seen other ppl get more then. I delete my pic when I notice a stalemate I call it. It seems to go up really fast. Like maybe in the "if, then's" mm/dd/yyyy< votings cutoff or the rate at which the pic shows. Maybe to drive ppl to delete fotos and start over like I do so as not take up much server space. Idk this are the things I contemplate when I'm bored with rating pics. Maybe my ratio of voting is cosigned with the ratio my pic is shown. There are so many possiblities w/o going through physical code idk idk but I wish someone did. But then that would take all the fun out of it huh?

So to answer you question jdak it's 100 usually then I delete. Currently I'm at 35 and seems kinda stagnant so I'll be deleting that one soon I think. Lol I've wondered though how I've had a freshwater fish pic up and only recieved one vote. Idk about that one But I don't rate many fish pics either soooo theorize away.

dream2reef

by dream2reef

Oh and yasher yw I thought you needed to hear all of that. I really had a big gut feeling you weren't on any other forums for some reason. You would be appreciated all over the net on many other sites. This site seems to be non-forum oriented. Although a few of us treat it as such. Hence why most don't post comments only tanks. And why everyone is so offensive. I've read through tons of threads seeking info on numerous subjects. Sometimes I come to the table with 8 subjects to learn about real fast. 3 hours later I'm changing water lol. I do appreciate all your info I've learned at least one thing from almost everything you've responded to. So thanks for not being offended text doens't show emotion and I was never offended by you just thought this would help out why ppl aren't responding to you. sorry for the book here.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

it's cool pal...everything you said is really a compliment, so it's all cool

When Is Enough Enough?

13 posts • Page 1 of 2