LONG costly day

2 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Snowboss4492

LONG costly day

by Snowboss4492

wow, first of all, thank you Salt Water Pimp, it's been a rough one. To all who don't know whats going on, I set up a ten gallon tank yesterday and mixed my salt water. today I took my 2 damsels out, put them in the mix tank and proceeded to do a 50% water change and turned the tank upside down [crushed coral substrate] it was totally trashed and full of crap from over feeding, bad algae cycles etc etc etc, so after about 2 hours work on this 20 gallon tank, she's all pretty and I put the new water in and the damsels.....all is well right? WRONG!!!!!! both dams are dead within the hour, CRAP!!!! turns out putting them in fresh salt water with no bactieria or active anything burned them to death, so after a conferance with a friend of mine - -off the the fish store I go - - long and short of the story is.....removed the crushed coral replaced with 40lbs of live sand and added 2 more lbs of live rock {totaling 15 lbs now] and left one of the dead dams in there for a new cycle - -I will be fishless for at least a month but in the mean time I will be researching and building a custome sump for this tank. SO that's the long and short of it - - opinions???

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

hang on over flows are 2 unpredictable for me . if they loose syphon they will over flow. also if anyhing restricts the hole it will over flow.as far as a sump mine was basic just a filter bag to catch debris and micro bubbles. and a g2 skimmer+magdrive 950. with very good results.

LONG costly day

2 posts