Over stocked?

3 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

snostorm

Over stocked?

by snostorm

Hello, my first post, been lurking for a while and love this site! My question-

I have a 95 litre (about 25 gal) tank with heater, filter, fake plants and light. In it is 6 Shubunkins, 5 Black Skirt Tetras, 1 female fighter and a mystery (apple?) snail. I don't have any issues with ammonia or pH but I was wondering if you would consider this overstocked? I know the Shubunks will grow larger but they grow pretty slow right? They're about 6 cm at the moment and 4 of the tetras are babies.

What do you think?

Alasse

by Alasse

I would class that as overstocked. Shubunkins can grow to 25cm or more in a year if given ample room and feed. They will be growing slow due to your tank size.

Also, just for your info :) Shubunkins are a cold water fish and the rest you have in there are tropicals. Different water needs :)

snostorm

by snostorm

Thanks Alasse, I can in time move them to a different tank, I ended up with the tetras due to someone not wanted their fish any more. The heater is set to about 21 at the moment and I've read the black widows prefer it little cooler than most tetras? I know the female fighter shouldn't be in there but it's so hard when your boyfriends house mate works at an aquarium!

Thanks for the advice :)

Over stocked?

3 posts