Combatabilty Question with a Cichlid and a Bichir.

3 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

mzhantsche

by mzhantsche

I have a African Cichlid about 3 inches long and a Dinosaur Bichir in a 20 gal. Will this work in the long run?

I got small plants and put them in an area where the Bichir can swim under them. The Cichlid has a trouble nipping at the Bichir when he is under the plants. I also put a clear plastic tube in the tank when the Bichir can hide and the Cichlid cant fit. Since I've really made good boarders for the Cichlid he dosent go after the Bichir that much.

I'm worried as he grows that he will grow faster than the Bichir and eventually kill him.

Has anyone had experience with these two fish together?
ace90-35.JPG
2c61e-1a.JPG

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

I have a bichir, and one convict in a 65G with a musk turtle.
The bichir and the convict ended up in that tank because they ate and picked on every fish in all of my other tanks. They both are mean, mean mean and don't behave at all. The bichir leaves the fish alone because the fish is to big to fit into its mouth. You won't have a problem unless the fish is small enough for him to eat. And if he is, within minutes..... there will be no more. My turtle also leaves them both alone because both fish are to big for him to eat.

mzhantsche

by mzhantsche

Cool. I Bichir cant fit in the Cichlids mouth. So i should be good. I added two bala sharks that are the same size as the cichlid. The cichlid kinda picks on the sharks now. the Bichir is totally left alone.

3 posts