Update On My Tank.

18 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

one other thing, real short:

mollies (and platies) like to have a little aquarium salt added, say about, a teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon. Aquarium salt is real cheap. After a water change, add the salt - but be sure the crystals do not touch the plant leaves or the fish for it will burn them.

dream2reef

by dream2reef

DISCUS!

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

discus are cool fish - but please beaware that these fish like warmer tanks and do best in schools say about 6-8. So with that in mind, adult size averages at 8 inches a piece. If you get the min requirement of 6 discus in a 55 gallon tank with all your other fish, you may run into a problem. If the tank was set up just for discus, a 55 gallon tank may be okay for 6-8 fish school, and even this is pushing it.

if you want your fish to be truly comfortable, you'll need at least, on the low end, a 90 gallon set up.

just a thought

Alasse

by Alasse

The angels may not be eating the neons now *L* but i can assure you, once adult, they can and will eat any fish that they can fit in their mouths...

How do i know you say. I bought 9 small angels and had them in a tank with neons and some livebearers. As they grew the neons slowly got picked off and never did i have livebearer fry *L* They also polished off and bristlenose fry that appeared.

They are wolves in sheeps clothing. Just a matter of time before the wolf part breaks out.

If you want tetras, go for cardinals, they are a larger fish similar to neons

dream2reef

by dream2reef

well I'd sell all my fish to have a tank full of them ol blue disus! Along with my piranha my 2 thirty gallon tank and my left um arm yea

MayhemMonkey

by MayhemMonkey

Well i decided to go ahead and buy a pair of baby angels, but before you say i'm making a big mistake i decided to take koach's advice. i will set up another tank - a 50 gallon that i've never touched or used- , but gradually set it up while they're growing. So my new questions are, how long will it take the angels to reach a mature size and two, is the tank stock i want to get now okay?

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

angelfish will grow to adult size or reach maturaity between 8-12 months, average is one year (of course depending on water quality and food).

until you set up the next tank, you should be okay. The list you provided on this thread is perfect...as long as the angelfish are juveniles or less than 2-3 inches.

But it is good you are thinking of terms of another tank. Your angelfish will thank you for it. And Angels can live up to 10 years old if kept in healthy conditions.

Let us know how it all turns out

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

I'm withholding judgement, only because angels are irresistible. :) Anyways, you have a sound plan especially if you already have the bigger tank. Keep your eye on ebay and such for the things you need to get it up and running.

Update On My Tank.

18 posts • Page 2 of 2