Freshwater Stonefish

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

serial32

Freshwater Stonefish

by serial32

I just recently went to a new aquarium store that I found to be extremely clean and probably the best i've been to so far. I have 3 convict cichlids and 1 common pleco(about 4 inches long) in a 29 gallon freshwater aquarium. My convict cichlids keep having babies so I asked them about an eel to keep the babies minimized. After deciding against an eel they showed me about 2-3 other fish that would get a long with the fish I have but take care of my problem.
I picked a Freshwater Stonefish which they only had one of and they said they only eat live fish and would def. take care of my babies. He's about 5-6 inches long and looks like a crazy monster.

However after searching for a while on the internet I have only come about 1 website that gives me any information on them. I realize that they are brackish fish but any other info I have gotten on them are saltwater information.

Any information that anyone can give me would help me, i'd like to know comfortable water temp, treats that i can give, or just a certain understanding of what i can do to keep him healthy and happy. This is the website I found...
http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Oddball ... nefish.htm

gumbii

by gumbii

Batrachomoeus trispinosus... hmm...

yeah... that's not a popular fish to the hoby... allthough i have seen them around in LFS' before... they go under a bunch of different names... freshwater lionfish, freshwater three spined frogfish, etc... that makes it harder to do research on... just keep him in conditions of any other mangrove habitat fish...

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/Species ... p?ID=10747

i think they would also like a higher PH... i had to raise the PH when i got my fly river turtles... they are also from the mangroves of new guinea...

good luck... sorry i couldn't of been more helpfull... just don't touch it...

Serial324556

by Serial324556

Alright thanks for the help. I'm not really sure what my Ph is, I haven't checked it in a while since I have cichlids and they have been pretty healthy for almost a year. If anyone has any more info on these or owns one and has more info please reply. Thanks.

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

Ooooo stonefish I'v seen a tv special on them...aparently people have stepped on them and been killed by the venom/poison/whichever ...dangerous eh? but very very cool!

Serial324556

by Serial324556

I've heard mixed things on the venom. 1 site I read it says it's dorsal fin is very venomous and can put you in the hospital. The next site I read says it only feels like a bee sting.

Freshwater Stonefish

5 posts