Allenbatrachus grunniens

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

frankyfan

Allenbatrachus grunniens

by frankyfan

i'm trying to find some one with some first hand experience with this awesome fish with more common names than i have changes of socks. i know the basics ( live feeder, brackish water, venomous) there seams to be some conflicting data on tank size, amount of salt to add, and adult size i have an empty 45 gallon, a 12 sided 40 gallon, and a 55 gallon which would be best. (a few of its common names are freshwater lion fish, water wolf, three spine toadfish, and my Aussie friends forgive me for butchering this Bullrout). it's native to Australia and any other brackish water habitat in the Indo-Pacific. hears a picture. i'm really interested in this fish

tekneb

by tekneb

Frankyfan, you are correct that this fish has many names. When I visited the west coast of Australia, they called it a stonefish, although my friend from Finland who came to the west coast with me called it a toadfish. They are not freshwater. The reason I know of this fish at all is because the lifeguards at a saltwater beach warned us to be careful not to step on one, as they have poisonous spines along their back. The friend from Finland had stepped on one during a previous trip to the indo-pacific region, and said it was the most pain she had ever been in her entire life.

frankyfan

by frankyfan

it is a stone fish your right ( how it got such a stupid name I don't know). but this one is not as venomous as its salt water counter parts. they live in Brackish water mangrove swamps. your friend was lucky i know the salt water species can be lethal

frankyfan

by frankyfan

i found some tank mates for him what do you think

55 gallon
1 Macrognathus aculeatus
1 Trinectes maculatus
1Allenbatrachus grunniens
both the eel and the flounder have similar needs to the toadfish. minimum tank size is 30 gallons on all three i'll scape it like i would a reef tank two piles of rocks on both ends 4 inches of sand on the bottom plants along the back with that many predators on the bottom it should prove intriguing.

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

I had one in my brackish tank a few years ago.
They call it a stonefish because it looks like a rock.
It did not do well in my tank and was quite boring and seriously, looked like a rock.
Or, one could say it looked like pile of poop. Literally. I brought him back to the store I believe, after about a month.
He was with some puffers, and some knight gobies in a 55G.

frankyfan

by frankyfan

i know it was a while ago but you wouldn't remember your water chemistry for that tank Ph, specific gravity, in paticular

Allenbatrachus grunniens

6 posts