Cleaning Filter

14 posts • Page 1 of 2

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

jdak702

by jdak702

Are you cleaning the filter pads too? I wouldn't see a problem with this if you switch the filter pads replacing one at a time instead of both.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I agree here with jdak...first you need to get a log book/calendar (I have one that I have kept since I began the hobby, you name the date, I can tell you what went on in the tank). In the log book, you can write down on such and such a date, replace filter 4-6 weeks.

Anyway, the filter box can be cleaned out thoroughly anytime the filter pad is rinsed off. Now do remember that good bacteria is all over/in the gravel and all over the tanks items in the tank...this is what you can do every 4-6 weeks:

alternate the filters or if you just have one filter, and you want to save the bacteria on the filter the best you can, you take some water out of the tank into a bucket, you rinse the filter in the tank water, make sure the boil wheel is in the main tank water (bacteria will remain alive for about 30-60 minutes then start to die off (for there must always remain wetness or water for the bacteria to live). After, you put the filter back in and then the bio wheel. Things should be fine then.

According to "expert" advice, the filter pads must be replaced every 6 weeks because the charcoal is not at its best after that time. But I have found, once again, to the contrary. As long as the filters are rinsed off, it is okay. REason: if too much dirt accumulates on the filter pad it can actually have a reverse reaction and as the water rolls off the bio-wheel into the main tank, it can begin to poison the fish because it is just plain dirty water.

Now I have in the 55 gallon tank, Penguin 200 & Penguin 350 (550 gph). Since the tank I have is established, I have not replaced the charcoaled filters in 6 months (water tests are still within normal range). I do rinse the filter pads only if the bio-wheels are not turning for that particular slot in the filter. NEVER rinse the bio-wheel. Even if it becomes dirty because it is an active ongoing bacteria nest.

Charcoal simply cleans the water of any chemicals (reason one should not treat an ill fish in the tank because the medicine will be filtered and any medicine in the tank will be neurtralized by the charcoal, thereby, weakening its composition.

So to make a long story short: like jdak says, on the 350, alternate the filters, rinse in tank water; thoroughly clean the filter box especially the spindle that propells the water into the filter box - but be very careful for the tip is made of rubber and this can become easily damaged (there are online stores that will replace the item for about $8.00); keep the bio-wheel in the tank; try to begin a log book by date; once the tank is established, then you can possibly eliminate replacing the charcoal filters.

Hope this helps

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

wow. I clean my filter when it gets dirty.

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

Well, you know, I have all canister filters. I hardly ever clean them out.
Maybe every 3 months. I am big on water changes. I do all of my tanks every week, and most of them get done 2x a week. I empty 15G of water out of my stingray tank every day so I don't worry about the filters too much because they keep the good bacteria in the water.

cmarti

by cmarti

I don't clean my hob filters unless the water going back into the tank is cloudy and dirty, which means that the filter is too clogged up to do its job.

Last time I cleaned one of them in old fish water I threw my tank into a mini-cycle so I don't mess with them unless I have no other choice.

I have a bit of a crazy setup though in my two 350's so I try to not mess with it if all of my readings are normal. On one side of each I have floss, the other side of each I have a 50% bag mix of charcoal and phosphate remover. I also have a small bag of crushed coral in one side to keep my ph up. In the past I've had problems with ph being below 6.0, but the coral keeps it up to a little below 7.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

give you a tip on knowing when to clean your filters on the 350 HOB: if the bio-wheels are slowing up or at a dead stop, it is time to clean the filter on whichever bio-wheel is having a problem

unless your tank is established (6-12 months old), you should be very careful about rinsing the filters (just a light washing will do), but if it is established, I will thoroughly clean the filter or filters under spigot water, and believe it or not, there is no side effect because most of the good bacteria is in the gravel bed. But only do this if you are 100% sure there is enough bacteria in the gravel bed. If not, your tank may go into a whole new cycling process or your tank will be completely screwed up.

anyway, if the bio-wheels are not turning or have stopped, this is a great sign, the filter or filters need rinsing or cleaning

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

+1 for yasher. I clean my canister filters out when the water flow coming out of the outtake seems to be slowing down. There really is nothing BAD in the filter that is going to hurt your tank. As long as your filter is running correctly, I would leave it alone.

cmarti

by cmarti

@yasherkoach - thanks for the tip I'll keep that in mind. :)

When my filter was clogged cause the floss was covered in goo I cleaned the floss in old tank water I moved to a bucket. I got it pretty clean, but come to find out I got rid of enough of my bacteria colony that it threw my tank into a mini-cycle. Live and learn I guess.. :)

dream2reef

by dream2reef

Yea I agree with everyone. I've found great success in keeping records and never cleaning too much at once. I rotate which I do whether it be the gravel or alternating clean sponges. It really helps when you have multiple tanks. It's the only way to becoming a good fish keeper I think idk I just got here.

chenhongjuan

by chenhongjuan

We work hard and are fortunate to service a large and diverse clientele, but we remain a small company that prides itself on "old fashioned" customer service.

We appreciate you taking time to
[url=http://www.edhardytime.com/]ed hardy clothes[/url] visit our website. Please browse about, and if you have any questions feel free to give us a [url=http://www.edhardytime.com/]ed hardy clothing[/url]call. Be sure to see our new blog sites located with in our site to ask technical[url=http://www.edhardytime.com/]ed hardy shoes[/url] questions or review industry trends. At our company headquarters the phones are answered 5 days a week, 7am to 5pm, by our group of friendly knowledgeable customer service pros who are ready to assist you.

Cleaning Filter

14 posts • Page 1 of 2