baby chiclids

12 posts • Page 1 of 2

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

LUVMUFF9326

baby chiclids

by LUVMUFF9326

i noticed 2 babies about half inch in my tank.my questions are can i expect them to live?also i feed my chiclids pellets,can the babies eat them or is there special food they need?any help would b appreciated for ive never had baby fish

bangme33

by bangme33

hi what type of chiclids are the african or s'american?

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

Well, half inch is really big so I guess they have been living in the tank for some time and eating something.
I am sure there were more but they did not make it. I'd say you have 2 that made it out of 25-30 maybe.

LUVMUFF9326

by LUVMUFF9326

25 -30 holy fucksticks.....there african ,so halfinch or so is big 4 babies?1 is clear n 1 has stripes which is wierd cuz the 1 that seems 2 protect them is yellow with a stripe down the top fin but i also have 2 bumble bee lookin chiclids which is kinda what the 1 looks like?are they interbred?or does any african chiclid bang any african chiclid?

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

Half inch is big for babies. I bet they have been in your tank for over a month.
And, I am sure there were many more babies and they got sucked up the filter or the other fish ate them. I do not believe they interbreed like endlers and guppies.
Nobody should be protecting them anymore...... the mother and father long since let them go.

LUVMUFF9326

by LUVMUFF9326

sweet ,well i hope they survive n ty for the info....much appreciated,but 1 more question if i could, about a month ago i had 1 chiclid that i thought was sick, stomach got skinny , mouth got big, n gill area got a lil red so i treated tank with API aquarium salt n fish got better. do u think it was sick or could that have been mom cuz i heard they keep the babies in there mouth or is that b.s. ? again thanx 4 the info

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

Yes, that is true, some do keep the babies in their mouth.
I would say that it is probable that that was the mother.

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

If you are into having some babies... pick yourself up some convicts chicilids, they breed like rabbits.

LUVMUFF9326

by LUVMUFF9326

do convicts get along with the africans........( thats funny to me .....cuz...well.......nevermid) or do they need seperate tanks

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

the convicts and africans have different water requirements, they need softer lower ph water where the africans like the higher ph.
Depending on what your ph is would be the factor.

baby chiclids

12 posts • Page 1 of 2