ADVICE ON UV STERILIZER!

5 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

FishMane25

ADVICE ON UV STERILIZER!

by FishMane25

so i was going to add a UV sterilizer until i went to my lfs and they said that i need to know the rate of flow on my sump before i add a UV sterilizer because it may not work right if its flowing too fast for the light to do anything. well my pumps dont have any kind of info on them to tell me how many gph they push. i bought the tank used with the wet/dry and pumps and the person said they may be pushing 500gph per pump as i have 2. i need to know if i should go with a bigger watt UV sterilizer for more gph rate or if it will even matter since its gonna be on one of my inline's going into my tank?? any advice would GREATLY help! not that i have an algae problem(anymore) but just would like to get my tank at top notch. thanks!

jdak702

by jdak702

What kind of tank are you running? FW? SW?

FishMane25

by FishMane25

im running a freshwater tank...

jdak702

by jdak702

Sorry, i really don't know. The sterilizers i have seen ran on their own powerhead. I have no experience with any that connect to your overflow.

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

IMO they are garbage and don't really help out all that much.
Why waste your $$$?
If you do not have an algae problem, just leave things alone, and if you do get an algae problem
they aren't going to solve the underlying problem.... high light, high nutrients, lack of circulation...
underfiltration...
these are the things that I think should be worked on to keep your tank in top notch.

ADVICE ON UV STERILIZER!

5 posts