Anyone use Lifegard thermometers?

8 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

JasonJ514

by JasonJ514

I just upgraded to the 100 watt Marineland Stealth heater for my 29g. The stealth is praised as one of the most accurate and best working heaters. The dial on the heater tells you what temp it is set at and if the green light is on, you're at that temp. I have a marineland strip thermometer that always reads exactly what the heater is set to also.

Here is my question:

I just bought the "little digital" Lifegard thermometer at my LFS, which was double priced if I were to buy online. So being as how I bought a $34 thermometer, I figured it would be fairly accurate. Well, when my heater says it's at 80, my strip thermometer matches, but my new digi will say 77.4 (always a few degrees cooler). The probe is inside on the same end as my strip thermometer about 3 inches from the top of the water (where it should be the warmest).

What should I believe?!?! The heater and strip thermometer combo or my brand new over-priced digi?!

I bought all of this to alleviate any questions in the temperature world and now I'm just more aggravated!

What should I do? Return the digi and buy something better??
anybody have any good experiences with a certain thermometer?

JasonJ514

by JasonJ514

jdak702

by jdak702

Test it in a glass of ice water... should be just above 32 and below 33.

JasonJ514

by JasonJ514

will do.. thanks for the help! I'll let you know what I find!

JasonJ514

by JasonJ514

Jdak,

I did the ice water test and you recommended..
here's what i found:
a range reading from 31.8-32.5

it looks like this is well within the parameters you described.

however, when my heater and strip therm say 80, my digi reads 76.8!
what gives??

I just have a hard time believing that the heater and strip therm match, but are both equally off calibration.

IT drives me nuts if you can't tell!
should I just give u on an accurate digital?

josmoloco

by josmoloco

The best thermometers for the average freshwater tank are the adhesive flat ones that stick on the outside of the glass...

ones similar to this...i have had the vertical read ones....

http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store.com ... page-28485

jdak702

by jdak702

Hmm... i have no experience with the adhesive thermometers but you could try one and see which it reads closer to. Their are also food quality thermometers for like $5 that you can calibrate on both ends. Being a cup of ice water and a pot of boiling water that way you know one end should be 32 and the other end 220 or whatever boiling point is at your altitude. I definitely understand your frustration with this as 4 degrees is a large swing. I would trust the digitals before the water heater tho.

JasonJ514

by JasonJ514

the good thing is that even if I am 3-4 degrees off, I run a little warmer (usually at 80) so I will always be between 76-80... at least the fish will be happy! I just need to learn to get over this thermometer deal! maybe I'll take it back and get a powerhead instead! circulate and trust the strip thermometer I have and call it good! I know my heater has to be good, it's brand new and has never been on out of water. It all checks out fine as far as I can tell, however, I am in no way a heater expert!

thanks guys, I'm sure I'll get over it!

8 posts