Thinking about a discus tank!

10 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

FishMane25

by FishMane25

Im thinking about turning my 125 gallon tank into a discus tank and I just want so
e advice on the best way(s) to go if I decide to go that way. Read my profile for tank information and please let me know! Thanx everyone.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

do you want to start over?
do you want just discus or the usual corys, tetras, cichild ( e.g ram ) for tank mates??
I dont think some of your fish would work, I cant tell because you have all the fish youve kept.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

If i had a 125 gallon, i think i'd want to do a discus tank. They are beautiful fish. What is the ph of your tap water? I've heard they can be finicky about water quality and prefer water that is soft and acidic. Have you considered switching to live plants?

FishMane25

by FishMane25

nooooo i dont want to start over i just got this thing up and running a few weeks ago lol!! i just think they look really nice but i dont want to spend money really, im just wondering if i can start a discus tank with what im working with. IF i was to start a discus tank i would obviously get rid of everything i have(IF) i decided to go that way. just wondering how hard it would be to get one going and the main things i would need filtration/lighting wise!

mro2you2

by mro2you2

I ment start over on your fish. If only set up for a week then there shouldnt be any fish.

You wont make it if you dont want to spwnd much money. Crappie discus are around 50 and good ones are around 100-300.

PlantsAteMyFish

by PlantsAteMyFish

If you're going to keep discus with other fish try to keep only slow moving and peaceful fish. They do best when they're all their own spieces. When I had my neons and zebras with them they did not like it at all. They mostly hid among the plants and hardly ever come out. After I removed all the fast moving fishes they're much happier now. They now come out and swim around.

Another thing is they like very warm water, 84-86 F. This may be a problem for the other fish.

FishMane25

by FishMane25

yea if i was to change my tank over i would only have those and angels really. im gonna buy a UV sterilizer and a canister filter and let them run for a while before i even do anything if i even decide to.

bangme33

by bangme33

hi
if you are wanting to do discus your tank should be very mature for 1st thing.
u could probally get bout 3/4 discus in there i wouldnt go any more bu 2 would be good a breeding pair with a few tetra's and cory's

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

they also have next to zero tolerance for nitrates. Even if your tank is well established (doesn't sound like it is) you will need to keep a good eye on water parameters, just as natalie said.
I hope your LFS accepts fish returns as store credit..

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

I heard that a lot of people who have a discus fish do water changes more than 1X a week.
A friend of mine has a discus tank and does water changes every day.
Why? I have no idea, but I heard that, about water changes from a few different people.

10 posts