How to stock my 55g??

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

skitheeast36

How to stock my 55g??

by skitheeast36

Im gonna be a senior in Sept. and am already looking at out-of-state colleges. Unfortunately I probably won't be able to bring my 55 and 10 on the plane with me.. So I gotta start planning!!

The problem is what to do with my 55. I would either sell it as well or let my brother and father take care of it. My dad is busy a lot and my brother is only 14 (but will be 15 or 16 when I leave). My 55 holds 2 angels, 5 painted tetras, 6 rummynose, 3 cory's, 3 rasboras, 2 glofish, and 1 ghostfish, along with lots of decor and stuff.

What I was thinking was selling or giving my tetras, glofish, and ghostfish, and clear all of the fake decor , add more sand, and put 4-5 bigger fish in it. That way it will look nice in my living room and wont have many fish.

SO what do I DO????? Ive always wanted to switch my 55 to more of a tank that holds fish like angels, discus , cichlids.. larger, more appealing fish (not that I love my fish now) cichlids look pretty promising right now, but im not too sure

Thx to all that help!!!

mro2you2

by mro2you2

well I would say if your brother has any experience with fish then sure stock/remove what ever you want.
If he doesnt know any thing (or a slacker) then I say remove all the fish, decor, water and shut it down. If your family can deal with a empty aquarium ready for when your done. Im pretty sure when you come home on xmas you want to see some fish.
Or if your brother is interested and wants to learn then teach him.

As for fish you could make a pretty sweet african cichlid tank.

skitheeast36

by skitheeast36

any specific cichlids? i would like ones that tolerate a low pH and dont get too big

mro2you2

by mro2you2

well African cichlids need a high pH but a kind of african, Mbuna can get 3-4 inches.
If you want a low ph thats your american.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

I think you need to talk to your family before you do anything. Caring for a fish tank is a huge responsibility. I don't think you should dump that on them unless they are genuinly interested in the tank. If they aren't, the tank will certainly not get proper care while you are away at college and your family may feel resentful at the burden you've saddled them with.

josmoloco

by josmoloco

Its time to sell! i just sold my 125g, 55g and 15 cichlid tanks because of college next fall. There will always be more fish when you are done...

How to stock my 55g??

6 posts