algea

13 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

heredia0223

by heredia0223

I would put some pura lock phospahte remover and one mexican turbo snail they love hair algae, and give it some time. Also how old are your lamps and how old is you carbon? If your lights are more than 8 months old replace it, and if your carbon is more than a month old replace it, if your leave carbon in too long it can leach phosphate. Also your water should be ro/di water, tap water has alot of phosphate so does distilled water. WATER CHANGES 10% a week till your clear out the problem. And do not overfeed every other day seem to work for me.

gotareef

by gotareef

do you have a ro unit is my first question. second do you do weekly water changes. third are you overfeeding and last what is the mg level

without a ro unit you will not ever cure the problem you are just adding food for the algae. the amount of algae is why you dont have any phosphates showing on the test kit.

mg pretty much decides everything in a sw tank if it is low you will have ph swings. calcium cant be used because it takes a coral 3 parts mg to 1 part ca to be able to break down the calcium. with calcium swings it will cause algae blooms
this is a great site but I would find a local reef club to help you figure a few things out
remember a lfs it there to make $$ so they will try to sell you everything they can to help you with the problem but that wount solve the reason you have the problem

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

A blackout will take care of the immediate problem, but will not fix your underlying problem.
All that algae is going to come back if you don't fix the underlying problem.
Algae is caused by high nutrients, too much light, and bad
water circulation.
Do regular water changes, cut back on your lighting, maybe your wpg is too high? Not sure cause I am not sure what size tank you have....... get a powerhead, and DO REG WATER CHANGES. And, don't overstock your tank unless you are willing to do the work = water changes.
A cleaning crew would be good also to keep the algae at bay once you get the underlying problem under control.

algea

13 posts • Page 2 of 2