Revamping Tank

3 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

unifyzero

Revamping Tank

by unifyzero

I have a 25gal Tall with 6 Odessa Barbs and 4 Hillstream loaches. I started the tank last June. I'm thinking about revamping my tank due to a lack of activity.

Is there something I can do to stir things up a little more? I'm unfamiliar with the temperament of Odessa's, but they were much more active when I first got them. As I see it I have two options. 1) alter the tank in some way to get my current fish moving, or 2) get rid of the Odessa's and switch to something a little more exciting. See below for specific details.

Fish Health:
The Odessa Barbs are, as far as i can tell, very good shape. The males are very dark and have very vivid red stripes. They've also produced babies on two separate occasions. Despite their apparent good health they hide in the rock all day and hardly move around. Originally they would swim to the top to eat, but now they wait for it to get near the bottom. However they do move around the tank more when the lights go out.

Tank Setup:
The rock takes up about 3/5 of the bottom and is a little under half as tall as the tank. It has a bunch of caves and tunnels and is centered in the tank. I have a tall fake plant in each back corner, a short wide fake plant on centered in the tank on the filter side, and a small rock immediately in front of it. My filter is a Aqua Clear 70 OTB Filter and I have an air stone in the opposite back corner. Could my filter be causing too much movement in the water?

Any thoughts or suggestions on what I might be able to do?

mro2you2

by mro2you2

Hillstream loaches need a powerhead at one end of the tank to recreate there natural home. And they need big rocks at the bottom, some plants in the back and big room to swim.

I think if you will try to create a home for the hillsteams you will need a longer tank and fish that can cop with the current or some fish that come where from where they do.

I say get rid of the hillsteams ( there so cool though!) and create a normal tank.

e.g
platies
gouramis
tetras
corys

but If you want some think cool I'll try for dwarf puffers.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

Revamping Tank

3 posts