hello everyone!

46 posts • Page 4 of 5

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

jdak702

by jdak702

Still have your dogface?

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

no. I broke it down and don't have it anymore. I had a hard time taking care of it and my fish were always getting sick, I would take them out and put them in a hospital tank and they would get better, and then as soon as I put the fish back in, they would get reinfected because the disease was in the water and I could not treat the water because it would kill the rock and the coral.

I could not keep the water at the right temp in the summer w/o a chiller, and I had to run the ac all of the time which could not be running at the same time the lights on the tank were on cause I would blow a fuse..

It was a real nightmare.
I loved the SW tho.
Someday I will set up another one.
d817c-IMG_2286.jpg

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

jdak...... got any pics of your tank?

jdak702

by jdak702

Putting a fan on the water surface helps me cool my tanks. Did you have ich? I was able to kill my puffers ich with hyposalinity. I was able to do it in the display cause it is a fish only tank. Hypo will kill live rock, inverts, and coral too. I didn't have any of that in the puffer tank so it went well. I guess having 10 tanks will blow a circuit or two. I thought about putting my tanks on a 20 amp circuit. Most houses are built with all 15 amp circuits around the house and then 20 amp circuits in the kitchen cause kitchen appliances blow 15 amp circuits. At least that is how mine is. A 20 amp might prevent this but probably isn't a DIY install.
d99cb-DSC01912.JPG

jdak702

by jdak702

I have a few pics of both my tanks at www.jdak.net ... I took them all off here cause the picture quality sucks and the rating system is broken.

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

Nice pictures.
Nice tanks.
I think the quality is good!
Anyway, love the puffer. Thats the way to do it.
Have a reef tank and a SW fish tank.
Combining the 2 sucks if you run into problems.

jdak702

by jdak702

TYVM... well, i do have 2 clowns in the reef tank but they are veterans to the tank and won't allow anybody to live with them. They live in the rocks and make lots of babies. I bought the 150 used and kept the display just how he had it. A lot of reefers question FO tanks these days due to not having LR but the truth is the #1 filtration in a puffer tanks is water changes. Not biological IMO although i do have the filter stuffed with LR for some biological activity.
f3af1-DSC01942.JPG

mro2you2

by mro2you2

nice...

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

That is very cool with the babies.
I heard....... not sure if it is true...... that clowns are very territorial and if you want them in your tank, you have to put them in as one of your last fish added. If you put them in first they consider the WHOLE tank their kingdom.
I also heard that 2 together would fight, so I only had one, which I added as one of my last fish in the tank.
So what happens to the babies? Do they get eaten?
You should DEFINITELY try to get some pics of that, and some video. (Of the babies) That would be awesome.
I see that you have a MAC...... thats what it is made for!

jdak702

by jdak702

yup, love my mac. My clowns weren't aggressive when they were young. They then grew mature and became aggressive. They are my bulldogs. Maybe they became more territorial when they became mated. The other fish in the tank were lost due to other reasons but i knew the clowns were getting more aggressive as they grew so i never replaced any fish and went more towards coral. I had one die in a winter power outage and another took a jump. I've never seen a baby hatch. I watch the eggs develop for over a week and then they start to disappear. One guy i talked to thinks i just don't see them and they get sucked up the filter. I do have a shrimp and few crabs so they might be to blame as well. I am going to get some sponges to cover the filter intakes and will attempt to hatch them when i'm more ready. Hard to feed for the first couple weeks so i have to be ready with rotifer and baby brine. Two will fight if they are the same sex, not mated, or not the same species.

hello everyone!

46 posts • Page 4 of 5