Refugium Confusion

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Dusty

Refugium Confusion

by Dusty

I lack knowledge people :( In a sump refugium that is partitioned into different compartments, I see alot of people put a 6" or more sand bed to control the nitrates, and a macro algae that consumes excess phosphates.

I know that a bacteria lives in the sand and I can seed new sand with a cup of sand from an existing tank to speed things up.......BUT........How does the macro algae get there? I do put some living rock under 24 hour light in there right? Does it just grow off the rock?

gumbii

by gumbii

you buy it...

have a reverse cycle for the light...

so when your DT's light is on, the refugium light is off... and vice versa...

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

leave it on 24/7

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

leave it on 24/7

gumbii

by gumbii

depends what type of algae you have in the refugium...

i had mangroves, caulerpa taxifolia and chaeto...

mangroves and the caulerpa will go aesexual and die off causing damage to your tank...

if you have just chaeto then it's all good... but i wouldn't wan to do it because of the PH fluctuations...

Dusty

by Dusty

I just want something that will eat up the phosphates long term. My tank is 104 gallons arriving 4 days from now and I ordered 130 pounds of live rock. The LFS cures it for 2 weeks and cleans it up so should be sweet.

I was going to put the LR in the refugium but the LFS said he runs the macro algae in the fuge and the LR in the display. I like that idea better because I can see what I paid for (poor logic im sure)

My 177 gallon/hour skimmer, the LR, macro algae he is giving me as well as some seeded sand he is also throwing in should be a pretty sweet setup.

Unlike my LFS who hasnt done a water change on his tank in 2.5 years (although it is an amazing tank I want to aim for) I think I will go for a weekly water change.....

Dusty

by Dusty

Whoops, the seeded sand is for the DSB in the fuge also.

Refugium Confusion

7 posts