expected mother

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

mro2you2

expected mother

by mro2you2

I have 6 platies, 3 female and 3 male. Im waiting for this to arrive from DrF&S http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/p ... atid=14698

so I was wanderin how to I know when to put the mother in??? Can I do it when I see bloating or do I have to wait the 56 day thing?!?!?! and do I have to worry about oxygan and nitrite. Or is there something to pump it out???

how long can I keep the platies in the breeder???

And I also got a sweet deal. the platies are ALL wild caught!!! you dont see that at Petsmart every day.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I'd get a breeder where the female can have a little more room to swim. Kept too long in a tiny space can kill the mother.

If you have a seperate tank I'd get one similar to the one you posted but where the whole box is open for the mother to swim in. Slots at the bottom will let the fry out and they can live in the extra tank.

There needs to be water flow through the box, so I've used a bubbler that allowed a few bubbles to go up into the box creating current.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

I dont have a seperate tank...

I just want to know how long to keep the mother in there & when to put her in there.

GiantDogg

by GiantDogg

Do you know how long she has been gravid? In the past with Mollies, Swordtails and other similar livebearers, I have tried to time it within a few days. No more than a week prior and take her out as soon as she looks like she is recovered.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

no I dont know. And she hasnt giving birth I want to know when to put her in the breeder.

expected mother

5 posts