Cloudy Water

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

kkamps15

Cloudy Water

by kkamps15

I moved from a 10 gallon to 20L in december of 2009. Recentley I woke up one morning to find a very yellow cloudy water in my tank. Not knowing what exactly was going on I treated the tank for ammonia and did a 20% water change. The tank was then clear for about another two days and then became cloudy again. I then did a 50% water change and didnt have trouble for another couple days only to wake up and find that my water was cloudy. In a panic I head to my LFS and asked for the opinion of someone who could help me understand. He said that he believed my tomato clown was kicking up my sand because he was unhappy and causing the bacteria in the sand to be suspended in the water. He recommended adding more feather dusters and to cure my fishes attitude problem by getting an anenome or another fish in the tank. another recomendation was to add another filter system. Im just looking for help and general info about what I should do for this problem since im generally new to this hobby. Thanks guys!

LUVMUFF9326

by LUVMUFF9326

do u have new driftwood, ihad the tea color when i added driftwood do to the wood leaching tannis,which isnt harmfull to fish but is annoying to tank,if not ,im not sure, i know regular clouding,more of a whitish color could be from over feeding......PK.....might have the real solution for he seems quite knowledgeable (maybe he is a marine biologist )....lol.....

kkamps15

by kkamps15

no, no drift wood, i feed him prbly twice a week and he usually eats everything that i put in.

jdak702

by jdak702

To start, driftwood doesn't belong in a marine tank. You moved from a 10g to a 20l tank? 20L is about 6 gallons. Why did you downgrade so low? It is very hard to stabilize water of this volume. Your LFS fed you a crock of shit. The sand is touching the water so the bacteria is already mixing. Your tank is too small for an anemone. I have a tomato clown in one tank and two clarkiis in another tank with no anemone. They do fine without anemones. I am kind of doubting you have the proper lighting to keep an anemone or the proper volume of water. This LFS you are dealing with is trying to make any sale they can. A feather dusters will not help at all. It will probably not even find enough food suspended in the water to sustain its life. With water volume so low, the only recommendation i could give is daily water changes of 30 to 50%. Also make sure you are premixing your saltwater and allowing the salt to dissolve for a day. One other thing, find a new LFS!

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Sorry. I'm a fresh water aquariest. My stepmother is a marine biologist though.

The only thing I can say is that the smaller the tank the more light per volume needed.

I think Jdak knows his stuff.

jdak702

by jdak702

Sorry to be rude but marine life can't live in a beta bowl.

kkamps15

by kkamps15

Its a 20 gallon long...............sorry for the misunderstanding?

jdak702

by jdak702

Well, that makes much more sense. #1 reason for cloudy water is overfeeding. What kind of substrate are you using? How new is the tank?

Cloudy Water

8 posts