Upgrading My Tank

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Plan One Or Plan Two?

Plan One.
100%
Plan Two.
No votes

Total votes : 2

prdoring

Upgrading My Tank

by prdoring

Well this Friday I will be buying a new tank. My platy fry are getting bigger, and I fell in love with a elephant nose fish I saw at the store, so my 10g tank isn't going to cut it. On researching the safest way to upgrade tanks there seems to be two schools of thought. So here are my two different plans, and I would like your opinions on which I should go with.

Current Setup:
10g Tank
2 10g HOB filters
1 Cory Catfish
4 Fancy Guppies
1 Balloon Molly
4 Sunset Barb Platy Fry

What I'm Transferring To:
36Gal Tank
1 40gal Filter
Same Fish, Plus more once filter is established

PLAN1:
1. Move 10G tank several Feet to the right
2. Set-Up 36G tank Using 2.5 gallons of water from the 10g
3. Put one of the two filters from the 10G on the 36G
4. Transfer the Cory and the Molly
5. Wait a Week
6. Transfer the guppies
7. Wait a week
8. Transfer the Fry
9. Wait a week
10. Get More fish

PLAN2:
1. Move original tank
2. Set up 36g (using all of the water from the 10g)
3. Fill the rest of the tank with treated tap water
4 Put both of the filters from the 10G on the 36G
5. Put in all of the fish

Ok.... so those are the two techniques Ive derived from the interwebs. I need any opinions or suggestions... I am looking very forward to this new tanks, but I really really don't want to loose any fish to re-cycling, that would be upsetting(and i would have to deal with two weeks of a mopey girlfriend) Thanks a ton!

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I think you can avoid building a new cycle by the use of the 10 gallon's filter, and of course using the same pads, inserts, whatever that was used in the 10 galon..

I'd put the fish in a little at a time as you indicated, and the new filter should be seeded within a week I'd think.

I think you have a great plan.

Sounds fun!

PS.........I suggest live plants as you have in your avatar, but that bamboo won't grow long underwater. If you let the leaves grow out of the top it will live, but I'd get some Anubias. Large Anubias is bartari, and small is nana. It has thick leaves and roots that will grow out into the water and down around wood peices or rocks.

It's really easy to grow and requires very little light.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I guess you could put all the fish in at once and use both old filters. I'd do a pH check on the 10 gallon's water and one on the tap water and make sure you don't shock the fish.

I'd also use as many filters as you can. Less times cleaning, and you can stagger cleaning of filter material and not have to worry about cleaning the filters under te tap.

Good luck!

prdoring

by prdoring

Thanks dude... I will go with plan one, but have it only be a one to two week fish insertion period... Also I removed that bamboo awhile back and added some other stuff... Ill be sure to post another pic before this tank goes away

Upgrading My Tank

4 posts