plants rotting

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

laughatyourlaugh

plants rotting

by laughatyourlaugh

Ive had live plants for over 2 years now, and never had problems. The tank was actually ONLY plants for like 5 months at one point. But lately all or some of the plants apear to be like rotting away. M moneywort has been doing good for the longest time and is really tall, now the leaves at the bottom half of the plant are gone and its just a stem. But at the top of the plant the leaves are doing awesome. My valniserria is also starting to rot, the long leaves which are about 1.5 ft long each slowly turn yellow then just rot.

SPECS:
30 gallon
weekly 25% water changes
65watt compact fluorecent light + a 20 watt plant bulb that i sometimes turn on
eheim canister filter (35 gal)
i also put in a flourish chemical once a month or so

no c02 injection though..

GiantDogg

by GiantDogg

PM PK for help, he has the planted tanks down to a science

mro2you2

by mro2you2

yep go to master PK

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I am not a "master plant grower" Just pretty successful with all the great lights I've pilfered from aquarium store dumpsters.

OK. First: Are the leaves at the top blocking the light from getting to the lower leaves? You may need to prune, or use better lights.

Also, lights will lost their brightness after 8 or so months and need to be replaced or plants will start to suffer.

That Flourish Excel stuff is supposed to be great and I use it, but it says it should be used daily or every other day. More for heavely planted tanks, less for less heavely planted tanks.

I would remove the dead parts of the plants and replant what looks healthy. Lots of people have jugles that are so dense that fish would have a hard time finding room to swim. I don't know what your plants look like, but pruning is a regular job I have to do often.

I pull out huge amounts of overgrowth every few months or so.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I appreciate the props though guys!

It is possible to have a great planted tank without co2. I've been doing it for years. My favorite plants are mostly lower light varieties though.

I think money wort is a medium to low light plant, though I'm not sure. I don't know valniseria, but if you had good growth before with the lights you have I'd get new bulbs and prune. Break off all the good parts and stick the stems into the substraight.

I think you'll see things take off right away. Good luck, and keep us posted! PK

plants rotting

5 posts