Fin Rot!

17 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

HBibbers

by HBibbers

The levels in my tank are correct. But I'll have to research the aquarium salt I never knew about that. It seems like all the fish I buy from Petsmart die on me... When I get them from my lfs the always live forever. Maybe I should just buy from there.

josmoloco

by josmoloco

Aquarium salt is useless, and pet-smart is also. Problem solved.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Errr what? I don't like Petsmart, Walmart, or Petco either, but I didn't make up the fact that a certian salt level is nessesary for fresh water fish's slime coat.

This is a well known fact.\

As Okiimiru said, it depends on the specific fish. My gars will eventually die of systemic bacterial infections if I don't use salt in their tank.

I suggested aquarium salt because it is not iodised. I use Trader Joes sea salt myself.

A healthy slime coat is the fish's defense against disease and many parisites.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

I disagree about the necessity of adding salt. I never use it and my fish thrive.

bennyphan

by bennyphan

I don't add salt to my cichlid tank... Although i do ad buffers to get the PH level up to the needed requirement. Is that the same thing? Or different?

GiantDogg

by GiantDogg

Salt depends on the fish and whether they are tank raised. PK's gars need it because in Florida where they are from, the water is slightly brackish due to ocean water mixing in and leeching from soil. Mollies and Platy's like it, but will not die without it. Freshwater Moray's, Mono's, and some others will also die without it. Just do the research on your own fish. Mbuna and CA/SA can do fine without it. Tangs do well with it.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

There you go! Some usefull info GD.

Fin Rot!

17 posts • Page 2 of 2