Help!

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

leifariek

Help!

by leifariek

I have several heavily planted tanks, all of which include wooden pieces and/or sticks. One of the pieces has been completely covered in black, hair-like algae, which i am told is referred to black beard.
I have 6 amano shrimp in the same tank, and can therefore use no liquid anti-algae remedies, as these generally kill most aquatic invertebrates.

has anyone encountered this growth? how do you kill it?

mro2you2

by mro2you2

I have. Its on my rock. I dont really care though because Its not really a bother too me. any thing tha will eat it Im all up for though.

kraigt

by kraigt

Black Beard Algea is terrible once you got it, been few years now but I'm sure I was recomended rosey barbs, just feed them a lot less then you normally would and they'll start eating the algea to survive, plus if you can, try a phosphate test, depending on your area, some water company's add more to combat other chemicals in the water - also your tanks not in direct sunlight is it? as this plus long usage of the tanks lights just makes it worse.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

as long as the algae is managed or controlled, algae is good for the tank.

I grow algae in the tank with direct sunlight regulated by mini blinds. It takes a bit of getting used to. Every Sunday I prune the unwanted algae, leaving some on the rocks, wood and gravel (the fry love it).

Hobbyists have been told by experts for decades that direct sunlight, vacuuming and algae are bad. I say, wrong! Management or control on a routine basis is key.

Make the tank natural. Let nature take care of nature with as little input from us humans, and you will find true joy in this hobby.

That's right, true joy. You achieve true joy in this hobby, then you have something worth all the money in the world. We have the sea in our living rooms (or whatever room you have the tank in...I have my tank in the den). The sea man. Fish, frogs, snails, live plants, wood, rock...it's absolute beauty.

Enjoy this treasure from the sea.

But there are those who say, but oh no, black algae! If you are really against algae, then let nature take care of it. Purchase fish or snails that will take care of this nature. Never ever add chemicals.

If you need further help, we're here.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

amen, thank you yasher. are there FISH that will eat what ever it is???

kraigt

by kraigt

Siamese Algea eater (very rare to find) and the rosey barb's are 2 I know of, the ghost shrimp will have a nibble but only if theres nothing else to eat

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I've had this stuff before and no fish or snail seems to be able to control it.

The way I got it under control is to do frequent water changes to lower the nitrates. Feed less, reduce nitrates to 0-10 and it should start dieing. It'll turn a purple color and it seems to get more palatable to algae eaters when it is dieing.

My tanks have a bit of this stuff growing like black fur and it looks kind of cool, as long as it's not on the plants. I trimmed the worst of the leaves and now I only see a bit on exposed parts of the wood and filter equipment.

You may try a phosphate reducing product, but I controlled it as I mentioed above.

Good luck. PK

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

Siamese Algae eaters, I agree, these fish are the only ones that will eat black algae.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod ... catid=1086

That link is from live aquaria (dr fosters online). The only live fish and fish products I purchase from. The fish goes for $7.49. The shipping is a one time fee of $34.99, but if you purchase a few of these, it may be well worth the price.

Hope this helps

leifariek

by leifariek

thanks everybody, - yash - my tank is in partial sunlight, but the timers on that tank are always set to coincide with daylight, with a noon siesta included. I am also a big fan of self-sustaining aquatic systems, as these are not only the easiest to take care of, but also tend to be the most beautiful displays.
The problem i have is such dense planting that the black algae is almost in direct contact with plants.
I suppose i will remove the piece of wood and treat it separately from the tank.

thanks again guys!

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

If this is the kind that is really hard to get off the leaves nothing will eat it.

I've tried siamese algae eaters, ottos, ramshorn snails, you name it. You've just got to do enough water changes that the nitrates are close to zero and it will die. It'll turn purple as I said, and then some fish can eat it.

I was having a HUGE issue with this crap a while back, and now it's under control. You'll need to prune out the worst covered leaves, and I even bleached some of the wood I had (rinse really well) and that'll clean up most of the tank.

After a while new leaves will grow out without this stuff and things will look better.

As I said, I still have this algae, but it doesn't grow on the leaves anymore and actually looks like black vevet fur in the few areas of exposed wood I didn't bleach because there was live plants growing on it.

Help!

11 posts • Page 1 of 2