Breeding convicts

13 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Oh getwithit, i hope you haven't awoken the sleeping beast, lol. Don't worry if you don't understand the reference i'm making... i just haven't seen this poster for awhile and was enjoying the silence.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I had 2 diskus that laid eggs every 2 weeks on a rock. They would tend to them and eventually after a week ate them every time. The local aquarium store said that the ones that turned white were infected by fungus but I don't know. Every week after they laid and took great care of the eggs they would eat em.

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

ok a lesson in breeding convicts, the convicts will take care of the babies ,and eat the eggs that are infected with bacteria or fungus, you need to watch carefully the female and the male will both care for and guard the eggs what you need to do is create an area in the tank where the babies can be safe, buy some anacaris, three or four clumps of it and put them near the nesting site, this will give the babies a place to hide and something to eat. when you see the fry out and around the anacaris what you need to do is put them in a separate tank or put them in a net breeder with the anacaris as they will hide in it also gives them something to eat. the babies will prefer eating brine shrimp. convicts are not i repeat not mouth brooders. if the mother or father feel threatened they will eat the babies, also watch because the mother convict may move the babies she will suck them into her mouth and then spit them out in a place in the tank where she feels they will be safest.
(anacaris is a hardy plant) most pet stores carry this in bunches.
Hope this helps
Brandon

Breeding convicts

13 posts • Page 2 of 2