First tank trouble

19 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I do use an entirely different type of bio ball continuously in the tank:

Bio-balls are suppose to be placed only in wet & dry filtration systems, but I figured because so much bacteria accumulates on the balls (reason for the ball, each plastic ball has a surface area of about 21 square feet, name brand I use is Coralife). But these bio balls are the only added material to the filter pads in the filters.

I figure the more surface area the bacteria can accumulate on the better. Bio balls are not chemical, it is a black spherical plastic ball about 3/4" diameter that sits in the back area of the hang over back filter, the water flows easily through the ball, so the pads can quite easily accumulate its proper amount of bacteria.

Whereas the bio-ball referenced in this thread is like aqua chargers, the bio balls boost the cycling process, or so it suppose to.

bennyphan

by bennyphan

Okay so I am starting to have algae problems as well. I have done all the necessary steps, and my nitrate level and ammonia level is very very low maybe 10 for nitrate and .25 on ammonia. I have shut off the light for 2 days and it seem to be killing it. So I have to leave the light off until all of it goes away, that way when I turn the light back on it won't re-grow and spread? Will that make my fish kind of "depressed?" I mean I have the window light shine on the tank, but once the sun passover to the other side of my house the light gets very dim in my living room.

chachi

by chachi

the lights off method is just for a quick way to get rid of the stuff. you are right, if you don't fix what is wrong it will all grow back.

from my experience, algae problems come from when you have an imbalance in the "big three". you need enough light (#1) and c02 (#2) for photosynthesis and the nutrients n-p-k (#3) to support growth. you need to figure out where you are not getting the plants the proper amount and fix that. i think a good place to start is with the c02. do you run a c02 system? if not you can also provide carbon to your plants through a chemical means. Seachem makes a product called excel which is an organic carbon source and i supplement it along with co2 injection.

another thing that can cause it is the light and spectrum of bulbs. next you may need to change your bulbs if they are old. you can try a different spectrum too as the cheap bulbs can really grow algae well. i had some daylight bulbs in the front fixture on my tank and there was a noticeable line on the back glass where these bulbs were shining on. I swapped out the bulb and it went away. you also say it gets direct sunlight. this can be hit or miss and you could try shielding the tank from the sunlight and see if that helps.

if everything is working properly your plants will be using all of the light, carbon, nutrients etc. up before the algae can get them. you will always have some algae. you are just trying to limit its growth.

chachi

bennyphan

by bennyphan

Thanks! I don't actually have an issue with my plants, since all my plants are fake. haha... I just notice that alot of algae is growing my holy rocks, and turning the light for 2 days seems to be killing a good portion of it, I just want to make sure by killing it entirely by shutting off the light the whole duration won't "depress" fish to the point where they die. thoughts?

chachi

by chachi

they will be fine. i've done it several times with no problems.

you still might want to block that sunlight tho. that might stop it. or limit the time the lights are on to ~.10 hours\

chachi

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Have you considdered ottos? (ottocinclus) These are tiny fish that don't bother anybody, but they eat algae really well. Keep those nitrates low, feed sparingly, and I put a sponge filter on my intakes for my canister and it keeps most of the nitrate producing junk out of the main filter. Just rinse the sponge in tap water (there's allready bacteria in the canister) really well and often.

PS once again! I'm not a guru! I get lazy and have plenty of problems of my own. I just post here often, and I am willing to say the same things over and over for the newbies who need immidiate help in emergencies. PK

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

OH yea! The 90F problem was embarrasing. I just have to make sure the house fan is on and the temps stay bellow 80F, mostly about 76F

I'm cheap and haven't built a hood, so my many lights tend to warm up the water too much without lots of fan action. I need the lights to grow all my plants, but I'm too cheap to buy say a nice $300 halide hanging pendant or clamp on system.

I'd use a chiller that I could run seperate lines through for my seperate tanks if I could afford it.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

one other note: once you get into this hobby, after a year or more, you will find that algae is not such a bad thing if it is controlled.

I grow algae in the tank. It is on the gravel, rocks and wood. Once the algae grows too much, I take it out of the tank and place it in the mason jar (I have about two quarts of the algae (cladophora algae).

I do not have a background to the tank. I have direct sunlight regulated by mini blinds. It is a much more natural setting for the living inhabitants. Experts in this field frown highly on this, but I do not believe such experts truly understand this hobby. The more natural the more enriching for the living inhabitants of the tank. Management or control of the algae. But this takes knowledge, patience and ongoing mainteance.

But for now, cut down on your lighting, do not overfeed and change the water (at least 25-30% every week for as long as you own the tank).

In time you will find yourself saying, wow, that's all there is to it? Routine & observation are your best friends.

Happy fishing!

tchavera

by tchavera

Honestly, I think a lot of this could be reflection. You should get a background and it will reduce this dramatically. Obviously like the others said, your tank is a bit over stocked. I think you can make do but don't add anymore fish. You should definitely get a filter that accommodates more GPH. You've done everything right so far. I would just say, try using some water clarifier and keep up with the water changed like you have been. Get a background!!!!!

First tank trouble

19 posts • Page 2 of 2