Discus in community tank

3 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

deanmachine

Discus in community tank

by deanmachine

I have read many conflicting things about Discus and am not sure I should add them to my tank. I have a 120 gal with 2 plecos, 3 dojo loaches, 2 kulia loaches, 2 cory cats and 2 platties. I understand they are peaceful so it doesn't seem like aggression would be an issue with my current occupants. I know they require lower ph and great water conditions - is the ph that they require so off from what the rest of my occupants need?

mro2you2

by mro2you2

yeah I would say so. test it and tell us. If its 6.0 to 7.0 ( 7.o being maybe a little too high) yeah go for it. But the con about discus it to keep them at their best, its better to do daily water changes. Corret me If I wrong never had them but hey, that is what I know.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Daily water changes? Not necessarily. They should be fine in a ph up to about 7. I think the reason people don't keep them in communities is because discus do best in warmer water than most fish...at least i think that's what i've heard. Sorry, not much help. You might try posting your question in this forum: www.fishforums.net. Under the "central/south american cichlid" category. I think if i had a tank your size i'd be wanting discus too!

Discus in community tank

3 posts