is my dalmation molly pregnant?

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

myfish09

by myfish09

I got my molly a couple weeks ago and she is getting bigger. I dont know if she is pregnant and if she is how long do they stay pregnant?
911ab-fish2.jpg

mro2you2

by mro2you2

How big was it when you bought it? how big is it know? And does it look like its stomach is big BEFORE you feed it?

myfish09

by myfish09

it was the same size as my male molly when i got them. and know her belly is like ballooning up. its popping out more. and yes its big before i feed her
eb2c8-fish2.jpg

mro2you2

by mro2you2

Mollies do breed like crazy. Do you know how to sex them? And about how big (in inches) when you go her. If she is about 2-4 inches then it is probly.

myfish09

by myfish09

she was about two inches when i got her. and yea i know how to sex them, the back fin by the bottom is pointed and stays in if its a boy and the females is out, looks like a fin. am i right? and she is about 3 inches now. how long do they stay pregnant
52c7f-fish2.jpg

GiantDogg

by GiantDogg

To answer your questions...1) If you have a pair and only the female is distended, she is probably pregnant...just make sure it isn't an illness or overfeeding. 2) If you want to breed her, Mollies are live-bearers with a bout a month and a half gestation period. You will have to isolate her, I would suggest a fry holding live-bearer tank that hangs in your existing tank (She will eat her young...Mollies are not good parents). The fry will fall through a little slit in the bottom and you can release the mom back into the tank while the fry remain isolated.

6 posts