Installed My 55 Gal Tank In The Wall

19 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Tien6079

by Tien6079

Wow...I am very very jealous! So if you don't mind me asking, how long did this take and how much did it cost (the wall work, not the tank)? I would love to do this!!!

bennyphan

by bennyphan

Surprisingly it did not take long at all! A day and half and I was done. I spent less than 75 bucks for supplies. The only thing you need to buy is 3 or 4 2X4's and L shape brackets, and some screws. Not bad for something that would normall cost 2k or more if you had someone do it. You just have to make sure the wall you are cutting is not a main frame wall that is use to support the house. The wall I used was not, and it was there just to enclose the laundry room.

Tien6079

by Tien6079

Thanks for the info. I do not own the home I am in now so I can't do that, but the minute i own my own place...

bennyphan

by bennyphan

So the only thing I can find is this one? Looking at the open ocean side. Would this look good on my tank? Or too much?

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... sa=title#p

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I'm personally not into any background with any kind of picture. Dark blue/black for me.

bennyphan

by bennyphan

Hey guys, I am debating if I should take all the holy rocks I have in the middle and divide them up, put them in the back corners. Maybe fill the middle with baby holy rocks to semi connect them? I just feel that I have too much in the middle, I don't have enough open space for them to swim freely. Plus with the caves being in separate controls, they all won't be in middle, fighting for a territory as much. Thoughts? Here is a brief kiddy sketch on a post it note.
a31d2-sketch.jpg

josmoloco

by josmoloco

I would paint the back dark blue or black, and run trim around the front.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I would use the rules of the golden ratio, where things aren't perfectly centered, but balanced in a ratio of approxamately 1 to 3 or 2 to 3.

The "pathway" going back shouldn't be in the center, but a bit to the side of center.

Check out some of the tanks from people like Takashi Amano. He's the master of planted tanks, but even if you don't have plants you can get some ideas about composition and balance by the way he and others use rocks and wood.

bennyphan

by bennyphan

Thanks guys! I finish the set up yesterday, and will post pics later. Hopefully, I just have to resize the darn pictures again. I actually like the new setup, gives more room for the fish to swim.

Installed My 55 Gal Tank In The Wall

19 posts • Page 2 of 2