Lighting help....

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

fihsboy

Lighting help....

by fihsboy

Okay.........bought two 14k Aquamaxx bulbs........they are pretty sick. They may as well be 20k. So now im thinking......hell......why not add two T5HO 10k bulbs to either side. Question is.....do I go with 10k? or do I try out 6500k.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

lol isnt 6500k a grow bulb? isnt htat like exactly what diatom and algae want?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Yeah it is......BUT its the same spectrum as the sun.....so you get insane amounts of par from them, which is one major reason they grow algae so well. With the bacteria system I have established.......theres no way algae is going to grow in my tank, its just not going to happen. I erradicated the green hair that was popping up within a week of starting the new prodibio dosing along with vodka. I dose a vial every other week of prodibio and dose vodka every morning. :) Good stuff. My skimmate is nice and dark....and my corals are starting to glow. literally......they are putting off some of the brightest colors I have ever seen. I will take pictures tomorrow.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

btw.......ive come to the conclusion that keeping your bacteria updated.....has got to be one of the most beneficial things you can do for your tank.....In the ocean theres billions of bacteria that havent even been discovered yet.......The founder of genetics is traveling the worlds oceans to see how many different species he can find......and hes found way over a billion different types. which is insane. So bacteria diversity has to be a major player in keeping a tank.........it sure has made a difference for me.

gumbii

by gumbii

i highly recommend Fiji Purple bulbs from KZ...
http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Flu ... llen_Zucht

i buy them from there... since i could just drive and pick them up...

the spectrum is around 2,350K and they are a red spectrum light... they make a huge difference in the way corals look... i have two 20K 240W mh bulbs and one 39w fiji purple makes a HUGE difference... washes out the light nicely...

but only get one... you can bleach your corals with those bulbs... they have the highest par i think... then i would add an ATI blue+...
http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Flu ... ent_by_ATI

this is the T5 bulb that makes all the colors POP... big time... the greens and white... very nice... but i would stay away from 10,000k or other yellow spectrums...

Lighting help....

5 posts