Neon Tetra disease.

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Peterkarig3210

Neon Tetra disease.

by Peterkarig3210

From what I've read there's no cure. It's a parisite that invades the muscle tissue causing the color to go away and the body to have a lumpy appearance.

I bought a 10 cardinal tetras from one store, and they were great. They were alive for about a week until I put 6 more in from another store. I think the ones I just bought had neon tetra disease, because I noticed a couple with the above symptoms, but nevertheless They're all dead now. The water perams are perfect.

Question is: How do I rid the tank of the disease?
Are the other fish infected?
What can I do to make it safe for tetras again?

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

sorry PK but I have no knowledge about it. Sounds a little obscure like ''gourami disease''

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I just can't keep neon or cardinal tetras alive. pH 6.8, nitrates 10, ammonia and nitrite zero. My dojo and coolie loach are happy and have been in this tank for years. The ghost shrimp are happy, and the tetras still keep dieing.

I feel really bad. All I wanted was to have about 20 -30 neons and or cardinals happy and healthy in a beautiful planted tank.

OH well.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

OK. I think I may have the reason my tetras are dieing.

They come in pH 7.8 water and mwere probably raised as fry in this pH.

Tetras are supposed to like low pH, like 6.8 or something. I turned off the co2 so the pH stays high and the $1 ones I just bought are still alive.

If they stay alive I'll get more.

Neon Tetra disease.

4 posts