help with chilids

16 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

Thanks, I was just wandering because I have a comunntiy with plants ANd I dont wont to go out and bye a 10 gallon. One more ....... How do you sex them.

esparzar1

by esparzar1

Dizz gave great info to follow. As for the plants........good luck.....lol, most plants are in fact very safe and beneficial in the tank however it's really hard to keep cichlids from destroying them. If your just getting started with the tank then I would put the plants in before the fish. That way when you put the fish in the tank the will come accustomed to the plants already being in the tank. You will have a better chance that way!

As far as sexing them, you have to vent them. This can be done after they reach about 3 in. You can find various articles about "venting" african cichlids. Usually if you look at thier belly you will either see two holes that are the same size ( o o =male) or two holes that are different in size ( o O = female) hopefully that will help! Good luck!

mro2you2

by mro2you2

sow you turn them upside down than you look at there holes in there stomich ( you people are wierd ;) ) Thanks

mro2you2

by mro2you2

IS it really worth it too buy fish at Petsmart/Petco Not for adive just out of convence and Cheap Live stock. Mine has alot expericeaned workers tho

gumbii

by gumbii

no... well... i wouldn't trust petsmart's or petco's fish's health... mainly because they are all in one giant tank and share the same water... that's horrible...

go to www.cichlid-forum.com and check out the local for sale section... alot of mini breeders on there... i used to get my stock from hotchkis from hotcichlids.com or something... straight from the lakes of africa they were... lol...

as far as being wierd... we're extreme hobbyist... i have had to sex a tank full of cichlids... i used to breed extinct to the wild cichlids... now i'm only sticking with reef... i'm retired when it comes to freshwater... except for my pond fish...

mro2you2

by mro2you2

;)It was a joke, but Im one too all I want Is cash for my birthday. ;)

help with chilids

16 posts • Page 2 of 2