live rock!! in cycle new tank..wormss hellppp

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

eazy4647

by eazy4647

ok..so my tank is 4days old..got live rock in it. evrything was fine..i look today...and worms are stickin out my rocks..wat i do???

angus4481

by angus4481

they are bristle worms, the feed off of anything in the Live rock. basicaly they are a pest, they are in every saltwater tank. the best thing to do is get a flashlight and get some latex chem-free gloves (not latex medical gloves, they have oils in them) and pick them out at night. the hairs on them shoot into ur skin and you can have a blister colony on ur hand in a day, due to an allergic reaction. besides that it itches like hell. theres a company that makes a worm tube trap, its not worth the money.

makavelithedon963941

by makavelithedon963941

yea, thoes are bristle worms for sure like angus said, but forget the traps, they wont leave their rock, try to suck them up in a turkey baster when you see them hanging out a good distance, worked for me!

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

they may just be filter worms.. what do they look like???

eazy4647

by eazy4647

well they are banded brown and white i guess. or it could be a dark dark redish with white thin bands. i cant see much of it because most of it is inside the rock. but definetly a worm and definetly alive i touched it and it squirmed in the rock. so yea. its brown with white bands on it. so wat i wanna kno..let it be..cuz my tank is starting its cycle. or get it out..or can it also live harmoniously along with my fish and all in the tank? and if i do need to get rid of em. wats the best way to get rid of the lil suckers without having a rash on my hand lol..

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

some would be ok but if you have hundreds then you have a problem. i would agree with both statements above turkey bast and try twezzers.since your tank is new you can hold off on adding fish to the tank for a while some may starve to death. i can almost bet every one who ownes a reef tank has some bristle worms. also look into {when its time} i think 6 line wrass will hunt them. not into fish so i am sure someone else can tell you what fish eats bristleworms

eazy4647

by eazy4647

ok guys. believe me i appreciate the help and input u guys are putting in. i was doing some research online and came to the conclusion dat my "worm" lol cannot be bristle worm..it has no characteristics of one. i.e no kinda of spiny things running along side it or nothing. it just pokes its head around out the rock. i havent seen it in its entirely..but i kno it cant be a bristle it has none of those spike things along its body. it looks more like a a earth worm of some sort. its banded white and brownish with the brown bands being larger then the white ones..but i still cant pinpoint wat it is ;[..

Deltasigpony3648

by Deltasigpony3648

oh i have the same thing in my tank and i have no clue what it is exactly but i know it is hard to get out and if you try to cut it it just grows back good luck last time i saw mine i got enough of him that i ripped out some of his inners and havent seen him in a month

eazy4647

by eazy4647

yea but i came to realize dat its no bristle worm. at least not the one i see..i think its dying tho. since theres no kinda food in da tank. its kinda shribbling up. but the other one still poking its head around

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

not all worms are bad. you should try to identify.i hade a 7 inch worm in my reef he was a white almost clear .you could see all his tunnels in my sand from under the tank. nothing in my tank ever got eaten.. my tank may have benifted from him.

11 posts • Page 1 of 2