Lost corals

16 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Gldntrmite8894

Lost corals

by Gldntrmite8894

Both my Hammer and Torch died this week.... Everything else in the tank is doing great. Anyone have any ideas what would cause these two to perish so quickly? All levels and temps are fine...

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

were they close to each other in the tank?

Gldntrmite8894

by Gldntrmite8894

Nope, good 2 feet of distance between them with the hammer close to the sand bed and the torch up top closer to the surface. 200 gallon tank and they had co-existed for a good 4 months and we're doing great. Each had almost doubled in size and neither was in contact with another coral.

I've got or should say had: Torch / Hammer / Fox / mushrooms / ricordea / trumpets / lobopylia / frogspawn / Zoanthids / anthelia / plate coral / finger leather and yellow polyps... none had been added in the last 30 days so no real changes in terms of additions to the tank.

I did swap out my sump however used all the old filter media as to not shock anything. Torch started looking different the week before the sump swap and the Hammer a few days after however i really don't think the sump swap would have that big of effect. I literally only swapped out the sump tank all the existing filter / skimmer / pumps stayed.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

did you add any air fresheners in your house? Or spray lysol in your house? That will kill those lps faster then anything

lionlord3502

by lionlord3502

did thay start to tern brown and slimy. if thay did it is comen for lps's to git it it is a fungel infection. iv had it happen alot to mine

Gldntrmite8894

by Gldntrmite8894

No air freshners anywhere around them.

They didn't change color, just didn't open up and gradually starting shrinking and then lost the tentacles. All i have is the dead skeleton remaining.

Gldntrmite8894

by Gldntrmite8894

That and every other coral i have in the tank is doing great. Just these two and seemed strange that both perished at the same time.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

It could be a form of STN.

gumbii

by gumbii

what kind of fish do you have...? sounds like a hungry flame angel...

there is absoloutly no reason for them to just die out like that... something is either munching on them, or it's starving off...

do you feed them...? LPS has to eat... maybe you are lacking nutrients... lps love dirty water...

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

polyp bailout in corals in general is caused by a sudden change to a physical parameter in the water... most often luminary shock. If you have recently upgraded the lights, replaced overdue old lamps, added carbon after a long absence or did a huge water change (either suddenly increases water clarity and light penetration)... then you might have your answer. Or... a sudden influx of a lot of freshwater from long overdue evap. top off can do it as well. If none of the above, I'll guess that you were feeding the coral food that was too large (bigger than brine shrimp or 1/4") or you just weren't feeding it enough at all (2-5 times weekly minimum... daily needed by some). Most corals can hang in for 12-18 months before polyp bailout before they starve to death. Do consider the above. If feeding is the issue... use anything but brine shrimp which is complete trash and a waste of money. Frozen adult brine kills fishes and corals by letting you believe that they are getting nutrition out of the lousy 4% protein therein (gold fish food has more nutrition!!!). Instead... look at frozen Mysis shrimp...69% protein. That's real food for zooplankton feeding fishes and corals. Best regards

Lost corals

16 posts • Page 1 of 2