New Tank--yipee!!

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

natalie265
Site Admin

New Tank--yipee!!

by natalie265

Tomorrow i'm picking up a 55 gallon tank & stand that someone had listed for 70 bucks. I'm sooooo excited! Also thinking about turning my 30 gallon into a brackish tank. I'm excited about that too. Unfortunately i'm totally broke, so it'll be a while before i can do anything with it. Fish are an addiction!

peterkarig

by peterkarig

Cool! What kind of brackish fish were you thinking?

ant0715

by ant0715

yes keeping a tank is addictive. im currently saving enough money for a 30 gal tank. (my wife has me on a budget)

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Well, admitting your addiction is the first step...

Z
(6 tanks...)

esparzar1

by esparzar1

What are you going to have in the 55? Community? Cichlids? Planted?Brackish?

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

The 55 gallon is going to be a planted community tank. I'm going to save up for a CO2 system and good lights before i put anything in it. I think i'm going to have a big school of black neon tetras, a smaller school of congo tetras and a pair of German rams.

As for the brackish tank, i'm still researching what fish are compatible with what. I'd love a figure 8 puffer, but i'm still not sure what would be good tank mates. I'm open to ideas if any of you have brackish tanks. It'll be my first!

peterkarig

by peterkarig

Tetras are beautiful but delicate fish. They like slightly acidic water (and maybe somewhat soft too. Don't try to make soft water though by using home water softening salt. I've heard that this is not good for the fish.

My water comes out of the tap at a very alkaline 8.0pH or greater, so that's something to think about. Sometimes buffers, which can be used to lower the pH, don't work very well, and in addition, I'm not even too sure how healthy they are for the fish anyway.

One note is that co2 will lower the pH, so that is something that should work quite well with Tetras.

Just food for thought.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Don't worry, i've been keeping soft water species successfully for a while now. I DO have extremely hard tap water, but mixing it w/RO water keeps it in the Ph range that they prefer.

New Tank--yipee!!

8 posts