Play sand in a reef tank

31 posts • Page 3 of 4

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

In freshwater situations because of the fine quality of the sand it can become very compacted (particularly when over 2.5" deep), and stranded detritus can form aerobic pockets within the sand which decay over time and can eventually release deadly amounts of sulfur gas into the water column. I'm not sure if this plays a threat in SW but I can't imagine it doesn't if there is nothing present to stir the sand top to bottom.

I've witnessed this in a tank with flourite black sand where detritus seeped down around a piece of wood submerged in the sand and when I pulled it out large amounts of sulfur bubbles rose to the surface. Thankfully it seemed to gas off fast enough so that no harm was done..except to my sense of smell.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Same thing in salt.....thats what a DSB is famous for. Which it is a good thing for reefs.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

"The limitation of silica, inhibiting the growth of diatoms that would otherwise take up the limiting nutrients nitrogen and phosphorus, has even been implicated in blooms of cyanobacteria.1 " Call me a dumbass but this states nothing about cyno directly feeding off silicates, But they do fuel Diatom..Do you have any other info proving this ?

swp

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

lol

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

Here is a great article on cyno,RHF can make your head spin, this should be easy for everyone to read...Even you boss;)

TMERCIER here is one on sandbeds,Im lazy also (don't feal like typing) lol.

http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic59558-13-1.aspx

fihsboy

by fihsboy

no Direct reading. sorry pimp. But thats what I was told.

jnelson1983

by jnelson1983

8 days and counting.... Added about 40lbs of sand (maybe 1/2 an inch so far), and so far so good. No algae growth (above and beyond what i normally have)...

*Crosses his fingers* Here's hoping.

barnsey

by barnsey

Carrib seas Fiji pink (white) coral sand is £15 for 20ib on the net,its ideal for DSB at 2-4mm particles,has no silica or any others issues.
It also wont get stirred up every 5 mins by your fish/powerheads.

Im no expert on DSB's but im sure i read somewhere that ultra fine or large particles are a no go,the fine particles compacting far to much and the large ones allowing gasses out too freely.

barnsey

by barnsey

P.s If you want to pull copper out of your system use Pollyfilters,for Meds carbon is fine.

Just bear in mind it will take a VERY long time to pull Copper out of live rock,many places dont recommend snails,cuces,seahares,starfish etc if copper has ever been used in a system.

We have a closed quarantine tank which has a 10 kg of live rock which i used to use to quarantine fish and treat any illness.
No copper/medications have been added to the tank for 2 years,it houses 1 Frogfih and a few varieties of marco algae.
I still get slight blue(copper) on pollyfilters even now.

mrkite129

Re: Play sand in a reef tank

by mrkite129

Play sand is great.

The people warning about silica have no earthly idea what they're talking about. I'll spare you the long scientific explanation but basically many people don't understand the difference between Silicon, Silica, Silicates and Silicone and how they pertain to biology. If the silica in your aquarium glass and play sand were bio-available our entire planet would look very different.

It's a a myth that aragonite substrate offers any significant contribution to buffering. If the water you're adding to your tank is bad enough to free the calcium in the substrate then there's nothing alive in your tank anyway.

When I've used play-sand I've put quantities in a bucket and then filled it with water. Then swirled the sand and water in the bucket and waited a few second for the bulk of it to settle to the bottom. Then poured the clouded water out. Repeated until the water didn't cloud when stirred. It's a lengthy process to go through when you're using an entire bag but well worth it.

Play sand in a reef tank

31 posts • Page 3 of 4