water evaportation comboed with water changes

15 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I like that. :)

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

Salt wont evaporate with the water, Hence the rise in salinity
Adding fresh will lower the salinity concentration.

Adding more salt water to your tank will raise the salinity again.
so regardless you will have to add fresh no matter when.

I would suggest to Bluey, is to do a water change, taking a little more water than normal , and then add the fresh water to the tank after the water change. Dont throw the water change water straight away in case you need it later.
My reasoning for this, is that you then get more NITRATES out of the tank by doing a bigger water change, and you can quickly rectify the problem of high salinity, by adding the fresh water to the tank water, by adding the fresh water. You can get your salt levels back to normal in a 1 hour or so, this wont effect the fish much. Just add small amounts to the tank let it stir in check the levels, and do again till right. If you run out of fresh water or go to low with the salinity, then add your sw from the water change back in .
\
MAKE SENCE I'm CONFUSED

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

makes sense to me puff....................but i think that advise would only work for those who really know their tanks - - -"this aught to be close" might not work as well for a new commer..............but yes i totally understand your theory and actually use it myself because im such a cheap bastard, lol

if my tank is an inch low - i do my regular water change to that same level and then add an inch of fresh water - and of course double check salinity levels

as far a s good drugs for reef dreaming.....................i think im gonna start smokin some of this hair algae and see how that goes.................it's gotta have a use somewhere...................no?

hahahahaha

Boss

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

True. Boss True. If its good shit we could start selling reefers and not the aquarium type LOL
Blue, here is a eg of what im trying to explain

If you have 2 gallons of salt water and a SG of 1.026
and you add 1/2 gallon of RO
It for example may drop the SG to 1.024
if this was the case you now no that you can lower the SG by 2 parts with 1/2 a gallon. Calculate this to the volume of water in your tank and the amount of water you lose in a week. This will be the value of RO you require to keep a stable SG

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

what he said ....................im all up for some "reefin" puffy

makes the fish prettier than halides do ..................hehehehehe

Boss

water evaportation comboed with water changes

15 posts • Page 2 of 2