got a new tank

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

kei9th

got a new tank

by kei9th

the cabinet guys next door to my shop had a 110 gallon tank sitting on there floor forever. well i bothered them long enough and i can have it. YIPEE !!! well i need to know a good filter and what lighting i need. also this will require a lot of setup i would like to make my own rock setup can you all give me some links on how to do this? Ive been out of the saltwater thing for a while but i do miss it. i got to the end of my 29 gallon deal and needed something bigger, and free is me. about how many fish can i have safely in this tank?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

prolly 2-3 tangs and other fish on top of that. Get a big skimmer, three 250 halides with some T5 supplements and you could hold any coral on this planet. Get yourself some nice controlling features, you will be glad you did in the long run. I would buy the rock in phases......maybe buy from Marco Rocks, cheap GOOD rock. its not live......its dry.......but its probably the best you can buy!

jnelson1983

by jnelson1983

LIGHTING: T5 is arguably the best from what I've read. Any bright light will be good. If you get the right light, it'll come wih legs that will keep the heat from the light bulbs from causing salt to deposit on the underside of the glass underneath the light. Also, algae will grow there too.

FILTER: Use a wet/dry filter or canister filter. A lot of the wet/dry filters come with protein skimmers (which help A LOT with filtration). If you dont get one with the filter you buy, get a protein skimmer. Another nice option is to build a refugium filter with a deep sand bed (3-6 inches of sand in it) to pull the nitrates out of your water for you. You might even be able to use your 29 gallon tank for it!

SUBSTRATE: Best I've seen so far, is sand. With the particles being a lot smaller, it's harder for chunks of waste to sink into the sediment. It also provides more surface area for beneficial bacteria to form, and is *A LOT* harder for algae to grow on. The other benefit, is if you have a deep enough bed (3-6 inches), the bottom layers will form an aerobic bacteria grow due to the lack of oxygen in the water. And through osmosis, the bacteria will feed off of the Nitrate levels in your water (potentially keeping them at ZERO). Without some way to complete this process, you **will** end up spending a good amount of money on salt for water changes to keep your nitrate levels low. High nitrate=algae growth. Now just because you don't have any nitrate and your tank will stay a lot healthier, it doesn't mean you'll never have to do a water change, you just wont have to do one anywhere near as often...just to replenish the nutrients found in water.

ROCKS: The more porous the better (more surface area for bacteria to stabilize your tank). Depending on how you want to stack them, open style like mine to allow better water flow, or piled up in spots, etc... will effect how many larger rocks you'll need for the foundation. As far as color/type... you'll hear arguements about why each one is better than others, but it all boils down to personal preference and tastes once the biological "slime" covers it all. So pick what you think will look good!

POWERHEAD: You'll definitely want to get some way to add some water circulation to your tank. It will do 2 main things. The first is it will stabilize the temperature of the water, and the second is circulate the water across the rocks so the bacteria can do it's job.

FISH: Honestly, it depends on 3 main things. 1) How good is the filtration in your tank (Biggest one hands down). 2) What fish you're looking that will determine how many fish you can have in the tank at the same time. and 3) *WHAT* type of fish will also determine which fish you can drop in the tank. For example, you don't stick a stingray in a tank with a lionfish or something else with poisonous spines. The stingray drops, spikes go up...buhbye stingray. You also don't drop a small clownfish in a tank with a decent size lionfish...lunch.

Good luck. Just take your time, take a deep breath and be patient.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Do OOlite sand, its the only way to go. Caribsea only sells it in 20lb bags.......not 40, so if your lfs trys to sell you a 40lb bag of oolite....there full of $#*^. I would go with a berlin sump for a filter, its a piece of cake to keep clean, and it works great.

got a new tank

4 posts