green water?

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

lancealott

green water?

by lancealott

Okay there is no algae growing on the sides off the tank or anywhere else. but the tank is cloudy green color. i did a 50% percent water change and cleaned my canister filters. added new bulbs. bought new inverbrates to clean tank. did a 20% water change. still no change in past couple of days....

fihsboy

by fihsboy

probably a plankton bloom. Are you using RO water?

lancealott

by lancealott

what is RO water? yes probly how do i get rid of it

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

reverse osmosis, its a filtration system, basically making "sterile" water, RO systems start at 150 bucks and go through the clouds depending on size, speed of gallonage produced, etc etc................ a must for good water.

to install one you will need to tap into a water source {house waterline} and have a drain as they make 1 gallon of ro water and waste anywhere from 4-6 gallons for every gallon made.

if you can't install one then the next best thing other than buying from an lfs would be to look for a culligan dispenser at your local wal-mart, that dispenser is RO and here where i live it 36 cents a gallon after you buy the containers, ive been hauling water from wally world for 2 years now, but im gettng ready to install 2 RO systems now that i my house is finished. hauling for a 20 gallon tank isnt so bad but hauling for a 120 gallon tank with a crazy sump, fuge and frag tank {closer to 250 gallons} would be nuts..................

one of the RO's is actually an RO/DI

reverse osmosis deionized - - - sterile

Boss

lancealott

by lancealott

okay and how would you get rid of the plankton bloom?

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

frquent water changes - -25% every 3 days - double up on carbon in the filter and ride it out - cut back on your light times [fish need them, a couple hours in the morning and a couple hours at night is plenty] avoid direct sunlight on the tank, dont over feed, left over food becomes a buffet for unwanted garbage growing in there.............watch what you feed, like humans, the closer to natural the better. flakes and pellets are processed high phosphate, high nitrate bombs just waiting to build up in there and feed algae - - - think of them as little tiny twinkies......very tasty and convienient today but will eventually cost you a heart attack down the road if left unchecked, lol

regular tap water no matter where its from [well or city system] has some levals of nutrients, phosphates, silicas etc in it, some levels higher than others in different areas. so useing RO water will eliminate those things from the equasion.

remember everything that happens in our tanks lives and dies by how we care for it.......from fish to verts and yes even algaes and crap like that.................so if we dont feed it, it wont grow

PS .........feed the fish, lol

Boss

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Boss how often do you feed? I feed every other day or every three days. Depending on my work schedule.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

im down to about the same schedual - - all i have is 2 clowns right now, so every couple to three days is plenty

green water?

8 posts