New lighting?

2 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

littlej2455

New lighting?

by littlej2455

I have been running my 125 gallon tank for a little over a year now and it is about that time for me to replace the lights. But I was thinking of changing out my who lighting system. Right now I have two of these: http://www.aquariumguys.com/aqualight-a ... xture.html

I was wondering if I replace it to another system, what will the benefits be? Will the colors on the fish stand out more? What do you recommend? I don't have any corals in the tank either.

the57man

by the57man

I just replaced my lighting in my 55 gal tank. I had two 24" bulbs with a total of 30 watts. I bought two ballasts and two 55watt GE aquarium bulbs from a co called Bulb man. I was able to reuse my existing hood setup. I went from 30w to 110w of light with no exterior difference. I thought I would have an excesive heat problem but I didn't. Depending what type of hoods you have and if you are "handy" you could probably convert your hoods too. Maby even to largere lights than I have since your hood is probably larger than mine and will have more room inside. I used my same reflector, switch, cord, everything. The picture is of my tank with half of the hood done. Quite a difference.
9262f-new hood light.jpg

New lighting?

2 posts