Red Mangroves

3 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

chi6488

Red Mangroves

by chi6488

I will be getting around 20 mangrove plants pretty soon. I am planning to put in my refugium. Is it possible to not have to do anymore or a couple water changes a year??? The system is now basically an ecosystem in and of itself. I do have a protein skimmer as well. I have an RO water system as well for adding water or wate changes.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

no matter what you do, your water wears out. At least one monthly. I do a 5-10 gallon change bi monthly. and I have a 29 gallon with a 20 sump and 56 mangroves.....yes........56. They are essential for your livestock. Sure you can live in your house completely air tight with plants......BUT......why. I would go out on a limb at say you can do one every two months........people here locally do it all the time. But keep an eye on your live stock.....and dont stress them if you dont have to. I would personally do them as much as possible.....which is about what I do. Now that im out of school for( THANK GOD) i will be doing weekley changes.

newbie916

by newbie916

I believe it has alot to do with your bioload. From what I heard, if it's just corals with very minimal or no fish. You could go months without water changes. It also depends on how much your feeding. The owner of one of the LFS's only does water changes once a year on her 34 gallon. However, she doesn't feed her tank because it's so well established and only has three small fish in it, that she only needs to do water top offs. If you have tangs, then no matter what you'll have to do water changes because of their size, feedings, and waste.

Red Mangroves

3 posts