Pet store didn't hire me, haha.

10 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

jweb

by jweb

So I didn't get hired... It's a shame I was wanting to be a work-a-holic eventhough I only wanted to put in part time hours. I think they made a mistake by not hiring me, but oh well. I'm sure they'll figure out if it was a bad decision later on. Maybe I came off too cocky? Maybe they thought I was competition? I did tell them I thought about starting my own fish tank cleaning business. It seems like when you try to actually work or impress someone they usually won't hire you or won't like you because your hard work makes them look bad.

josmoloco

by josmoloco

Bitches.....

josmoloco

by josmoloco

I hate my LFS and the Big Box stores as well as all the employes...... I guess I am just a hater.......... I now get all my cichlids off craigslist!

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

I suspect that pet stores actually PREFER to hire idiots who know nothing about fish--a person who will sell any fish to any person, no questions asked. A KNOWLEDGEABLE fish person will deter people from over stocking their tanks, selling incompatible fish, and selling fish that will eventually outgrow the customers tank. In other words, they could be bad for business! That's my theory anyways. Sorry you didn't get it.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

I know the feeling. I work with some people who don't have any drive or initiative so when they see someone like me basically promised a manager position above them after only a couple years work they seem to want you to fail, and sometimes will do things that would make it harder for you.

Just don't let it get ya down eh. Its also possible they didn't have the hours on payroll to give out for your help (just as many retail stores are struggling), and didn't want to fire a mediocre worker to hire you, sort of thing.

I'm sure something else will come your way. Goodluck.

jweb

by jweb

Yeah well, they asked me for the least hours I could have and I said well maybe 15 a week. I really don't need the money I just wanted a little pocket cash. Oh well, their loss. I probably would have been their #1 customer too, lol.

zambize

by zambize

You can't take it so personally. There are many, many potential reasons why you didn't get hired, and most of which have nothing to do with you personally. Think positive. Be positive.

Z

Tien6079

by Tien6079

I was interviewed by 3 people in a company. The accounting manager, the controller, and the CFO. I knew the controller and CFO personally, but the decision to hire was up to the manager. The CFO and controller suggested hiring me after the interview. Come to find out later that she did not hire me because she felt threatened by my ambitious goals, friendship with CFO and controller, and my deep knowledge of the company ( I had worked there once before ). I thought I was a shoe-in, but apparently advertising one's self can be counter-effective...

jweb

by jweb

Yea, bad interview technique #1: Don't act like you're a powerhouse and are gonna run things, haha.

adehaan86

by adehaan86

Life is full of lessons, but hey there, there is more pet stores!!!

10 posts