SHY FISH

17 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

josmoloco

by josmoloco

To DIZ, It really dosn't bother me too much, I just get tired of people posting the exact same questions over and over again when they could be reading previuse posts. I also hate the attitude of some of the mods, but some are great, my favorite being TheNumber6.

dane918

by dane918

Well when I went up an aquarium place the guy thought my pH was fluctuating…so I tested it that day and it was 7.5…so I added KH + POTASSIUM stuff to raise it…It went up to 8.2…I then tested it today and it was slightly lower to about 8.1…I Have a feeling it slowly drops off after each water change…I do have that shell stuff in my gravel to keep ph up…

I am currently in the process of getting more rocks in the tank, just haven’t got them yet…hopefully will have them in within a week or so…

My tank is a 5 foot and is actually around 75 – 80 gallons…and here are my fish
-Cobalt Blues (1Male, 3 Females)
-Electric yellows (1 Males, 4 Females)
-Mainganoes (3males, 6Females)
-Electric Blue (1Male, 1Female)
-Red Zebra(1 Male)
-Grey/orange hap (female…not sure wat species)
-horizontal stripes (2males 1 female…not sure of species although there is a photo of one of them on my profile)
-Large albino hybrid female (x1)
So all together I have 26 fish
Im looking to get rid of some of the johanni soon…
Cant take many photos atm as my brother is overseas and has the camera…

josmoloco

by josmoloco

No, not too many fish, I would add more. I think like 10 salousi would liven the tank up. In my 125 6foot tank I have around 50! They never ever hide. I don't see what is lowering your ph, do you have new wood in the tank? My ph for my african tank fluctuates between 7.6 and 7.9 with no adverse effects. So the the best thing you can do is add some rock asap.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

A steady pH is better than the optimum. When it fluctuates at a slow rate it does not hard the fish, but if the swings happen fast it can hurt them. If it stays at a steady rate at say 8.1, that is fine. Its the swings that harm the fish more than the lower levels.

Yeah, get the rocks. That is what they are missing to make them comfortable.

dane918

by dane918

hmm i guess thats wat i gotta do..might try get them today actually...
the thing is they only freak out when i walk up to the tank...the rest of the time, if i watch them from a distance they swim happily,chasing eachother around...

josmoloco

by josmoloco

Ph does not seem to be a problem then, Get rocks and possibly more fish.

josephine

by josephine

My angelfish are also suddenly going beserk with fear when I walk up to the tank. Especially the two that are having a hard time because the other two have paired up and the former are smaller than the paired two and are bullied a bit. But I think it might also be because I have not been spending any time sitting right next to the tank in the last month due to being busy and sometimes I have not stayed at my flat for a few days but just popped in twice daily to feed them. I wonder if it is that because I have not changed anything else with regard to care. They have never behaved this way before, even when they were new babies.

SHY FISH

17 posts • Page 2 of 2